The Role of a Secretary
What are my responsibilities as a Secretary?
Before the meeting:
- Book a room for the meeting.
- Make sure all members of the Panel are aware of the date and venue of the meeting.
- Create an agenda with the School Chair and Student Rep Co-ordinator. You can use this template for creating an agenda for a SSP to assist you.
- Circulate the agenda once it had been approved by the student chair and the supporting member of staff.
During the meeting:
- Make brief notes of discussions including key decisions and actions agreed by the Panel, the person responsible for the action and the deadline.
- You can use this template for Minute taking to assist your minute writing.
After the meeting:
- Draft the minutes as soon as possible following the meeting. Once the minutes have been agreed by the chair and a supporting member of staff, circulate all minutes to the Panel within ten working days of the meeting.
- Make the minutes available to all students by placing them on notice boards / Learning Central.
As a Secretary, you develop the following skills:
- The ability to set meeting agendas
- The ability to write minutes
- General meeting skills
- Communication skills
- Organisational skills
- Public speaking
- Problem solving
- Team work
Training for Chairs and Secretaries will take place on Thursday the 28th of November.