The Role of a School Chair
What are my responsibilities as a Chair?
Before the meeting:
- Collect agenda items from Student Academic Reps.
- Agree an agenda with the supporting member of staff at least 5 days in advance of the meeting. You can use this template for creating an agenda for a SSP to assist you.
During the meeting:
- Bring the meeting to order and regulate the conduct of the meeting.
- Feedback to the Panel about the College Forum.
- Follow the agenda and regulate the amount of time spent on each item, leading the panel towards a decision.
- Ensure that agreed actions are assigned to a named person and implemented within an appropriate timescale.
After the meeting:
- Check all minutes are a correct record of the meeting prior to circulation.
- Send a pro forma, short report to the Student Voice Officer.
- Attend the next College Forum.
- Attend any meetings your School asks you to attend.
As a Chair you develop the following skills:
- The ability to chair meetings
- The ability to set meeting agendas
- General meeting skills
- Communication skills
- Organisational skills
- Public speaking
- Problem solving
- Team work
Training for Chairs and Secretaries will take place on the 28th of November.