Skip to content
Skip to navigation menu


Travel to other countries

While you are studying here at Cardiff University you may want to take the opportunity to travel to other countries.

If you decide you would like to do this then it is possible that you will also need to apply for a visa to make your trip to that country.

Unfortunately the ISS cannot make such a visa application on your behalf; however we have put together some information which you may find useful.

Please click on the links below for information on applying for tourist visas for travel to:


European countries that are part of the Schengen agreement 


Ireland (which is not part of the Schengen agreement)




Before you go

  • Buy a guidebook/map!
  • Think about how you wish to meet day-to-day expenses while you’re there – is there an office to cash travellers’ cheques?  Will your bank charge you to use an ATM machine abroad?
  • Research travel passes - you may make substantial savings on the cost of public transport, as well as avoiding having to visit the ticket desk too often!
  • Check the emergency number(s) for the country/countries which you will visit.
  • Check the details of your country’s embassy in the country/countries that you will be visiting in case you need any assistance while you are travelling.
  • Take a copy of your passport ID details page and visa/BRP card. 
  • Store these in a separate place from your original documents.
  • Don’t forget your mobile phone chargers (with plug converters!) so that you can keep in contact with friends/family.


When you arrive

  • Transport from airports and train/bus stations to your accommodation should be well-planned, especially if you are arriving late at night.
  • Be prepared to carry some change in the local currency (coins or notes in small amounts) to pay for initial expenses where change may not be readily available.
  • If you catch a taxi, ensure that it is a licensed taxi – usually these are signposted at airports.
  • If your accommodation has a safe for you to use, store your valuable belongings, such as your passport, in it.
  • Always keep a close watch on your belongings, especially when travelling on public transport
  • Finally, make a note of the International Student Support team's contact details, in case you need advice while you are abroad: +44 (0)2920 874844


Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information herein, Cardiff University can accept no responsibility for errors or omissions. 

Cardiff University is not responsible for the content or reliability of the linked websites and does not necessarily endorse the views expressed within.