Skip to content
Skip to navigation menu


Small financial problems

If you have a relatively small financial problem then you may wish to consider the following options:

Working part time 

  • Try to secure a job to work part-time during term time and full-time during holidays. Register with the Unistaff Job Shop in the Students' Union for help with finding a job. Remember though, that part time jobs are not always easy to find and you are likely to be paid the minimum wage of £5.13 an hour for 18-20 year olds, increasing to £6.50 for those aged 21 and over. You will need to obtain a National Insurance number when you start work. Please see our section on working in the UK during your studies. Working part time may help to supplement your living costs but is not likely to help you pay off large debts.

Emergency loans 

  • If you have a temporary cash flow problem and need a small amount of money (usually up to a maximum of £200), then you can apply for an emergency loan from the University.

Help with childcare costs at the University Day Care Centre 

  • The University may be able to offer some help with childcare costs if your child is attending the University Day Care Centre.  Applications are considered on a means-tested basis each term. Contact the Day Care Centre to request an application form.

Help with study support costs for a disability or health problem

  • If you have a disability (long or short term) that requires you to have extra support to study and incurrs additional expenditure, you may be able to claim a grant from the University Disability Fund. Contact the Disability and Dyslexia Service to make an application. 
  • The Lilian Oldfield Davies and Benjamin Narberth Fund is a University trust fund that can help women students who encounter health problems.

Negotiating with creditors

  • International Student Support offers debt counselling and can help you negotiate with creditors, e.g. mobile phone, gas and electricity companies, to gain control of your debts.To discuss your situation with an adviser, make an appointment with International Student Support

Help with budgeting

  • More useful information on planning and managing your finances is available here.