Skip to content
Skip to navigation menu


Working in the UK during your studies

Please note that this information only applies to you if you have a current Tier 4 (General) or student visa. If you have any other type of visa (e.g. Student Visitor) or you are the national of the European Economic Area, then this information is not relevant to you.

If you do have a current Tier 4 (General) or student visa then you will probably be allowed to work whilst you are studying. However, there are strict rules about the type of work you can do and the number of hours you can work each week.

For more information on the rules about who is allowed to work plus the number of hours you can work and the type of employment you can take, please click on the link below for more information

Working in the UK during your studies

For advice and guidance on your career plan and job search strategy and information on your options for working in the UK during your studies, take advantage of Cardiff University Careers and Employability.


Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information herein, Cardiff University can accept no responsibility for errors or omissions. Cardiff University is not responsible for the content or reliability of the linked websites and does not necessarily endorse the views expressed within. The government makes changes to the immigration rules and procedures on a regular basis, so it is important that you check the current guidance and rules when applying for a visa. For further information visit UKCISA and the Home Office websites.