Skip to content
Skip to navigation menu


Working in the UK after you have completed your studies

If you are coming to the end of your studies, you might be considering the possibility of staying on in the UK to work. This section of the website explains some of the schemes that are likely to be of particular relevance to students at the end of their studies. Please click on the links below to find out more scheme specific information.

Further information

The details of the schemes change frequently, and this section does not provide a list of all schemes. For full details of all the options that could be available to you, see the Home Office website


  • For some of the schemes, you might have to return to your home country to apply from there. This is because most of the schemes have strict rules about who is allowed to 'switch' from another immigration category (for example, 'student'), into the scheme whilst still in the UK.
  • For many of the schemes, you must have successfully completed your course before you can apply to 'switch' into the scheme.
  • If you want to stay in the UK under one of these schemes, you must make your application before your current permission to be here as a student expires.
  • If you have been sponsored by a government or international scholarship agency for your studies, most of the schemes require that you obtain their written consent before you apply to stay on in the UK.

For advice and guidance on your career plan and job search strategy and information on your options for working in the UK after your studies, take advantage of Cardiff University Careers and Employability.


Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information herein, Cardiff University can accept no responsibility for errors or omissions.

Cardiff University is not responsible for the content or reliability of the linked websites and does not necessarily endorse the views expressed within.

The government makes changes to the immigration rules and procedures on a regular basis, so it is important that you check the current guidance and rules when applying for a visa. For further information visit UKCISA and the Home Office websites.