Skip to content
Skip to navigation menu


What type of study is a Tier 4 (General) student allowed do?

A Tier 4 (General) student must either be doing full-time study in the UK on:

  • a full-time course of study that leads to a UK recognised undergraduate or postgraduate degree; or
  • an overseas course of degree level study that is recognised as being equivalent to a UK Higher Education course and is being provided by an overseas Higher Education Institution; or
  • a full time course involving a minimum of 15 hours per week organised daytime study, leading to a qualification below degree level such as a pre-sessional English course.

Or undertaking:

  • a recognised Foundation programme as a postgraduate doctor or dentist in the UK;
  • work as a Student Union sabbatical officer.

The course must also be provided by an institution which holds a Tier 4 (General) Student Sponsor Licence.