Skip to content
Skip to navigation menu


Taking an interruption of study or withdrawing from your course

If you wish to withdraw from your course or need to take an interruption of study you should discuss this in the first instance with your personal tutor, supervisor, or a member of staff in your academic school office. They will be able to advise you on the university’s procedures that must be followed.

If you do decide that withdrawing or taking an interruption of study is the best option, then as you were issued with a visa to study in the UK, the Home Office will expect you to return to your home country. 

Please read carefully our information on what happens if you are reported to the Home Office.  

If you have taken an interruption of study you must apply for a student visa in your home country so that you can return to the UK when you choose or are able to resume your studies. 

You do not have to inform the Home Office if you withdraw or interrupt your studies as the university is required by law to notify the Home Office of this change and will do so on your behalf. 

You are strongly advised to discuss your situation with an International Student Adviser before making your final decision.