Special Collections and Archives is open to all.
Special Collections and Archives
Arts and Social Studies Library
View on map
Open 9:00 - 17:00, Monday to Friday.
Closed bank holidays.
Planning your visit
Special Collections and Archives is open to all, with proof of identity:
- visitors need to present photo ID
- staff and students need a University ID card.
If you wish to consult archives, please make an appointment with the archivist in advance of your visit.
- +44 (0)29 2087 4911
The archives catalogue will indicate whether or not a collection is catalogued. Uncatalogued archives, which may potentially be affected by the Data Protection Act or other access restrictions, must be carefully screened by our archivist before access, and time must be allowed for this work to take place.
Books and microfilms can be retrieved while you wait.
Accessibility information for the Arts and Social Studies Library is available at disabledgo.com.
If further assistance is required in using our collections or our facilities, please ask a member of the team.
Reading room arrangements
- No pens, food or drink are permitted in the reading room, to avoid permanent damage to collections. Pencils and sharpeners are available on request.
- Coats and bags must be stored in a locker - these are operated using a refundable £1 coin.
- Items from our collections are available for reference use in the Reading Room only.
- Digital photography is permitted, on completion of a copyright declaration form. A camera is available for loan on the day (please bring a USB memory stick so that your images can be transferred).
- The reading room is a silent study area; please put phones on silent, and turn off shutter sounds on cameras. If you are unable to turn off shutter sounds, we will ask you to use our camera instead.
- Please exercise extreme care in handling the historical, and in some cases, irreplaceable materials issued to you. Ensure your hands are clean, and always use the foam wedges and weights provided to support books at a safe angle.
- Members of the team are always on hand to give advice.