- Children’s Clinic a First for UK
A new Occupational Therapy Clinic specialising in children with developmental difficulties opened at Cardiff University on the morning of 4th April 2014.
- RCM Wales Office Opening and Midsoc Launch
On Thursday 20th February 2014, the Royal College of Midwives Wales officially opened their new offices in Eastgate House, Cardiff. The event, which also launched the Cardiff Midwifery Society, was held in the conference room of the new RCM office.
- Cardiff student nominated for Student Midwife of the Year
3rd year student midwife Becky Westbury has been nominated for Student Midwife of the Year.
- Physiotherapy student named student rep of the year
3rd year physiotherapy student Rhys Hughes named student representative of the year by the Chartered Society of Physiotherapy
- Anniversary of Graduate Nursing education in Cardiff celebrated in Journal of Advanced Nursing
An editorial has been published in the Journal of Advanced Nursing celebrating 40 years of Graduate Nursing in Cardiff.
- Innovation in the School of Healthcare Sciences
On 22nd January 2014, staff from across the School and the wider University gathered for the first time to share their inspiring stories of innovation in practice and research.
- OBE for Honorary Chair
Professor Sue Bale, Research and Development Director at Aneurin Bevan Health Board (ABHB) and Honorary Chair at the School of Healthcare Sciences, was awarded an OBE in the Queen’s New Year Honours for services to nursing and nursing research.
- British Council Researchers Link Workshop
Healthcare Sciences Lecturer Una Jones comments on her invitation to attend the forthcoming British Council of Researchers Link Workshop in Sao Paulo in February 2014.
- Inspiring performance
A new physiotherapy clinic to support sport at all levels across Wales and educate sports physiotherapists of the future has opened at the University.
- From PhD to Lectureship at the School of Healthcare Sciences
Two PhD students from the School of Healthcare Sciences have secured lectureships within the School; an impressive achievement. Catherine Dunn and Dominic Roche, both of whom secured places before the completion of their PhDs, are excited about the opportunity to continue in the School - as lecturers.
- New Honorary Visiting Professor for the School of Healthcare Sciences
Professor Annette Lankshear, a former Reader in the Cardiff School of Nursing and Midwifery Studies, has been awarded an Honorary Visiting Professor position for a period of five years at the new School of Healthcare Sciences.
- PhD Student named a 'Distinguished Postgraduate' of Saudi Arabia
Shema Ammer, Nursing PhD Student at the School of Healthcare Sciences, has been recognised as a distinguished postgraduate student of 2013 by the Saudi Arabia Cultural Bureau in London, on behalf of the Ministry of Higher Education in Saudi Arabia.
- Midwifery Professor publishes new edition of 'The Midwife's Tale'
Professor Billie Hunter, School of Healthcare Sciences, has published a new edition of her book, co-written with Professor Nicky Leap of King's College London, titled 'The Midwife's Tale'.
- RCN Nurse of the Year Awards
A report on the exciting RCN Nurse of the Year Awards 2013, celebrating the many award winners from the School of Healthcare Sciences.
- Healthcare Student claims Hever Triathlon title
A student at the School of Healthcare Sciences has taken the Women’s Gauntlet title at the Markel Hever Castle Triathlon 2013.
- New Professorial Role First for Wales
In partnership with the Florence Nightingale Foundation, Cardiff School of Healthcare Sciences and Cardiff and Vale University Health Board have made a new Professorial appointment.
- New research study with Directors of Nursing in Wales & England
A new research study is about to start in the School of Healthcare Sciences that will explore resilience and coping in NHS Executive Nurse Directors.
- Prof. Hunter and Dr. Warren publish resilience report
30/10/2013Two academics at the School of Healthcare Sciences have published a report following research into the resilience of midwives.
- Improvement Science @ Cardiff: From Network to Centre
Information about this exciting event held on 17th October 2013.
- Senior Lecturer/Reader
Senior Lecturer/Reader post
- Cardiff University launches the School of Healthcare Sciences
Following a process of consultation and approval by the University Council, the College of Biomedical and Life Sciences is pleased to announce that a new School has been created which incorporates the activities of the former Schools of Healthcare and Nursing and Midwifery Studies.
- New Channel 5 series featuring SONMS staff and graduates premieres Wednesday 8th August
A new Channel 5 documentary starring nurses from Cardiff and Vale, including SONMS staff and graduates, will air for the first time this Wednesday 8th August.
- Nursing Careers for All – developing work experience opportunities
In July 2013, four individuals from widening access backgrounds took part in a week of work experience in various healthcare settings. They also attended a day at the School of Nursing and Midwifery Studies' Clinical skills suite at Cardiff University.
- SONMS’ Lorraine Joomun wins Welsh Language in Healthcare Award
Lorraine Joomun, Programme Manager on the Cardiff School of Nursing and Midwifery Studies’ Specialist Community Public Health Nursing programme, has been presented with a prized Welsh Language award.
- Graduation 2013
19/07/2013On Friday 19th July 2013, students from the School of Nursing and Midwifery Studies graduated from their programmes of study. Congratulations to all!
- SONMS PhD students awarded Nightingale scholarships for second year running
SONMS PhD students Nicola West and Amie Hodges awarded Florence Nightingale Research Scholarships for second year running
- SONMS’ Nicola West to appear in Channel 5 documentary
SONMS’ Nicola West to appear in TV programme about nurses in Cardiff and Vale
- New PhD Studentship released
A new PhD studentship is available for October 2013 entry at the School of Nursing and Midwifery Studies.
- Welsh Medium Lecturer
The School of Nursing and Midwifery studies, Cardiff University is seeking to appoint a Welsh-medium lecturer in Nursing.
- The Older People’s Commissioner for Wales publishes report based on research by Cardiff School of Nursing and Midwifery Studies
The Older People’s Commissioner for Wales has published a report on the workplace practices of those who work with older people and its effect on the raising of concerns, based on research by Cardiff School of Nursing and Midwifery Studies.