Teilo Ward, Llanarth Court Hospital
Llanarth Court Hospital, Near Raglan, Monmouthshire, NP15 2YD
Telephone: 01873 840555/ 01873 841229
All patients are detained under the Mental Health Act (2007) and many of the patients also have a forensic history with subsequent Home Office Restrictions placed on their freedom.
All male ward
Key Learning Opportunities:
Teilo is a 20 bed low secure service for men with a mental disorder who are generally over 30 years of age and who perhaps require longer term support including physical health care input.
Teilo ward aims to provide a safe, low-expressed emotion environment in order to maximise patients’ quality of life. The ward works with the recovery ethos and the MDT engages with the patients to identify and work towards their individual goals through the medium of CTPs (Welsh patients); CPAa & My Shared Pathway (English patients); Recovery Star and the Tidal Model.
The ward is able to manage acute episodes of care as well as longer term care packages.
Teilo offers a range of therapeutic activities and enjoys the benefits of having input from a full MDT – Consultant Psychiatrist; Nursing; Psychology; Social Work and Occupational therapy. Interventions on offer include:
- Social skills training
- Vocational , e.g., woodwork and horticulture
- Sports and Fitness training
- Art and Craft
- Adult education – literacy, numeracy skills
- Individual and group work on specific topics appropriate to individual need, e.g. ‘Anger management’, ‘ ‘Sex offenders groups’, ‘drugs and alcohol’, ‘fire setting’, ‘thinking of the future’, ‘activities of daily living community living skills’
Activities are offered on and off ward. Within the hospital there is access to a patient run library; shop; practical skills area; OT kitchens; Education department; GYM; Sports Hall; Swimming Pool; social club and therapeutic groups room. Each patient has their own individual timetable drawn up in conjunction with the MDT. Activities on their timetables link with planned actions in their care plans.
Learning opportunities include involvement in delivering or participating in therapeutic activities for individual patients in adherence to their care plans and being an associate nurse for their mentor’s patient group. This will ensure that the student has the opportunity to become fully involved in the delivery of care and to develop the skills required to build on a therapeutic relationship. Teilo also offers the following opportunities:
- Attending and participating in a prospective patient’s pre-admission assessment.
- Attending and participating MDT ward rounds
- Assisting patients with activities of daily living
- Working alongside the hospital’s practice nurse and GP
- Attendance at CPAs/ CTPs/ MHRTs as appropriate
- To be supported through a customised medication management programme and assessment for student nurses.
- Spending a day with other MDT disciplines (OT; Psychology; Social Work)
- Spend a day on one of the other wards within the hospital
- Attendance at regular group supervision with the practice development nurse
- Opportunity to learn more about forensic sections and working with people with a history of offending.
- Attendance at psychology run training workshops
Preparation For Practice:
Yes – year 3 only