College Fields Nursing Home
College Fields Close, Barry, CF62 8LE
Continuing and palliative care
Key Learning Opportunities:
Participation in delivering fundamental and acute care according to individual need, e.g.
- Assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation of person-centred care.
- Development of caring, supportive relationships with residents over time.
- Effective and appropriate communication with residents and their relatives, other members of the caring team and outside agencies.
- Gaining experience of and development of management skills, as practised in a nurse-led unit, e.g.for Yr2 students, a dedicated management day towards the end of their placement, giving the opportunity to manage the care of 26/27 residents under the supervision of the RN floor manager.
Other learning opportunities offered according to availability and learning need include:
- Accompanying the Matron/Manager during pre-admission assessments, accompanying residents to OPD clinics, attending in-house training sessions alongside staff, visits.
Preparation for Practice:
Human and material resource management, prioritising, time management, skill mix, assessment, management of admission, cross-disciplinary, service and agency liaison.
For the first two weeks of placement:
- 6:45 - 13:30
- 13:15 - 20:15
Following this, students are offered a choice of either adopting the above shift pattern or working long days
- 6:45 - 20:15
Primarily uniform, though there may be activity-specific occasions when students will be required to wear non-uniform dress.