West Wing Hospital - Orthopaedic Rehabilitation Unit
Second Floor, West Wing Hospital, Glossop Terrace, Cardiff CF24 0SZ
Toni Perry – Ward Manager (2 days per week)
Deborah Roberts – Deputy Ward Manager
Balbir Kaur – (Staff Nurse) link nurse for education
Telephone: 029 20335583 / 3335621
Dr Erica AlabasterEmail: email@example.comTelephone: +44 (0) 029 2068 7749
Clinical Teacher Contact:
Rehabilitation following post-orthopaedic surgery or trauma with a history of falls. The unit has links with trauma wards at the University Hospital of Wales and is part of the OPAIC Directorate. Patients are also transferred from other hospitals within and outside South-East Wales, e.g. if injured on holiday in the area.
Older people who require rehabilitative care post-orthopaedic surgery or trauma with a history of falls.
Key Learning Opportunities:
Regular opportunities include:
Participation in delivering fundamental and rehabilitative care according to individual need, e.g.
- Assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation of person-centred care.
- Development of caring, supportive relationships over time.
- Effective and appropriate communication with patients and their carers.
- Effective, appropriate communication and partnership with interdisciplinary team members and outside agencies.
- Management of complex discharge.
Development of management skills according to course stage.
Preparation for Practice:
Person-centred care, prioritising, time management, assessment, management of admission and discharges, inter-disciplinary, service and agency liaison, health promotion, promotion of independence.