University Hospital of Wales, Heath Park, Cardiff CF14 4XW
Karen Rowlands or Alison Bates (Lead Mentor)
Reception: 02920 545500
A1 South: 0292074 4777/4887
A1 North: 02920745523/2910
Adult Medical: A1 South-Medical Decisions Unit (MDU), A1 North Medical short stay
Key Learning Opportunities:
Ward A1 is a 38 bedded acute medical ward. A1 South is the Medical Decisions Unit (MDU). Expected length of stay is up to 48 hours. Patients will either go home or be admitted to a speciality ward, short stay ward or longer stay facility appropriate to their identified needs.
A1 North is a medical short stay area. Ideally patients length of stay is up to 10 days.
Each end of the ward has a consultant and a team of medical staff consisting of a registrar, senior house officer (F2) and a house officer (F1).
The MDU also liases with speciality teams such as Respiratory, Community respiratory resource unit (CRRU), Infectious diseases, Cardiology, Stroke, Psychiatry, Palliative care and FOPAL.
The Ward nurses work as part of a MDT that includes medical staff, Physiotherapists, Occupational therapists, Dieticians, Speech and Language therapists, Pharmacists.
Learning needs will be tailored to individual students and linked to core competencies. These will be discussed on initial interview with your mentor and revisited throughout your placement.
Core experiences students can expect are:
- Pathway of care- following patients through their journey from admission to discharge.
- Admission of patients to include risk assessment, planning, Implementing and evaluation care.
- The provison of fundamentals of care.
- Medication Management.
- MDT working to include working with specialist nurses, attending ward rounds, team meetings, Medical rapid response team.
- Nursing management.
- Observing clinical investigations and procedures.
- Transfering patients to other wards and hospitals whilst ensuring good communication and planning.
- MDT Meetings.
- Discharge Planning
Preparation for Practice:
Down load induction pack and build action plan around competencies and key opportunities identified.
- 07:00 - 19:30 Day Shift
- 19:00 - 07:30 Night Shift
All Wales Uniform Policy