Medical Emergency Assessment Unit
Medical Emergency Assessment Unit (MEAU), Llandough Hospital, Penlan Road, Llandough CF64 2XX
Telephone: 02920 715215/216 Unit manager - Sharon Dodson, Clinical manager - Julia Evans, Lead mentor - Rachael Maiden
Clinical Teacher Contact:
alternative contact details:
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Telephone: 02920 716865
MEAU is part of the unscheduled directorate, and specialises in the acute emergency medical assessment of patients MEAU is a mixed sex unit, comprising of twelve trolleys and two emergency crash rooms. We have a triage room and three doctor assessment rooms, so patients can be assessed. We receive the majority of our patients from GP’s or 999 calls but we also admit some from clinics and occasionally we have some patients that self refer although that is not usual protocol.
The age range of our patients is sixteen years onwards.
Key Learning Opportunities:
You have been allocated a mentor prior to the commencement of your placement. Your mentor will help co-ordinate your experience during your time with us. All mentors have been prepared for their role and will be familiar with your training requirements. If you are unhappy with your mentor or any other aspect regarding this placement, please speak to the lead mentor SISTER RACHAEL MAIDEN
The following opportunities may be available to you during your placement:
- Care of newly diagnosed conditions e.g. COPD, Diabetes, heart disease, terminal illnesses, disease of the endocrine, detoxification of alcohol dependent and drug overdoses ETC.
- There may be also opportunities to insert and remove urinary catheters, preparation and administration of medicines under supervision of your mentor
- Participation in organising the safe transfer of a patient to another ward or hospital following relevant guidelines
- Participation in organising the patients safe discharge home from hospital
- Referral to Medical Social Workers, Occupational therapist and other members of the Multidisciplinary team.
Other places of interest
- Gwenwyn (poisons ward)
- Cystic Fibrosis unit (CF)
- Enhanced Care Unit (ECU)
- 0700 -1930 DAY
- 10:30 -2300 MID
- 1330-0200 TWILIGHT
- 1900-0730 NIGHT