Nevill Hall Maternity Unit
Nevill Hall Hospital, Brecon Road, Abergavenny NP7 7EG
Louise Taylor (Senior Midwifery Manager)
Clinical Teacher Contact:
Key Learning Opportunities:
- Nevill Hall Maternity Unit cares for a varied client group, ranging from the affluent areas of Monmouthshire to the socially deprived areas of the valleys.
- Approximately 2300 deliveries a year occur at the Unit, with a home confinement rate of 2-3%, which varies between community teams and geographical areas (see community placement profile).
- The Unit provides care for high and low risk women, with the opportunity to birth on the Labour ward, which is predominately Obstetric led, alternatively women are able to receive low risk midwifery-led care on the Crawshay Suite, situated on Pen-y Cwm ward, which houses a Birthing pool.
- The Unit currently provides a range of antenatal services, which includes routine antenatal surveillance, an active Fetal Medicine Unit and a day assessment area (DAU).
- The DAU provides a vital service for women who require a higher level of pregnancy assessment but do not require admission to the antenatal ward. This service has been found to reduce the necessity for unnecessary ante natal admissions and to increase maternal satisfaction.
- A four bedded post operative support ward has recently been commissioned on Pen-y-cwm ward , which will provide care and close monitoring of women for the first 12 hours following caesarean section.
A variety of shift patterns are undertaken: midwifery mentors may work 5 x7.5 hour shifts:
7.00am -2.30pm or 2.00pm -9.30pm
Alternatively mentors may work 3 x 12 hour shifts:
7.00am -7.00pm or 7.00pm -7.00am