Questions Frequently Asked of the Finance Team
- Intakes from September 2012 with a Placement Travel Disregard
- When can I claim expenses incurred as a result of clinical placement?
- What can I claim if I use my own vehicle?
- What form of transport should be used?
- Can I use a taxi to travel to and from placement?
- I want to use my own vehicle, is this OK?
- Will I be reimbursed if purchasing a weekly/monthly bus or train ticket?
- I am using a Student Railcard. Can I claim back the cost?
- Can I use an IFF card?
- Will my claim be checked?
- Do I need to include any supporting documents with my expense claim form?
- Can I submit my claim form electronically?
- Will you pay me if I don’t have proof of payment?
- I am attending a study day, can I claim for this?
- Where can I get an expense claim form?
- Where do I submit my claim form?
- Do I have to wait for the end of my placement to submit a claim?
- My claim is older than 3 months, will I be paid?
- How often can I submit a claim form for payment?
- How will you contact me if you need to clarify information with my claim?
- I have changed my term time address, will this affect my claim?
- My friend and I are travelling to the same placement location. Can I offer them a lift?
- I am on a community placement. How do I record this on the claim?
- I am on a community placement. Do I need to get my mentor to sign the expense claim form?
- When will I receive my bursary payments?
If there is an amount to be reached before placement costs are reimbursed, students still need to complete and submit claim forms and send them into the Finance Office with the appropriate receipts and tickets.
If you are on clinical placement you can claim the costs, within the UK, of travelling to and from placement involving:
- Public transport
- Essential use of your own motor vehicle, including official passengers who must be named NHS Wales Bursary holders.
- Use of a bicycle
- Parking, tolls and ferries
For private mileage, the rates per mile are:
- Bicycle 6.2p
- Motorcycle 16.2p
- Other motor vehicle 23p
- Each official passenger 2p (NHS Wales Bursary holder)
You should use the cheapest form of transport available for travelling to and from placement.
We will only reimburse you for the cheapest form of transport; therefore if you chose to use a taxi we will either reimburse you the mileage of the route or the public transport rate, whichever is the cheapest.
If you are concerned about travelling to and from your placement please contact Jayne Hancock on email@example.com
If you want to use your own vehicle you need to complete a request to claim motor vehicle rates form. You will also need to check with your insurance company that you have appropriate cover.
We will reimburse you providing the cost is cheaper than the individual daily rate times the number of journeys and after proving the original receipt.
Yes, providing the train is used on placement and the original receipt is attached to the expense claim form.
Yes, providing the weekly/monthly ticket receipt is attached to the claim and we will reimburse the total cost if this is cheaper than the individual daily ticket rate.
Each claim is checked to ensure it is accurate and complete. Mileage will be checked using online route planner tools to ensure the mileage claimed is not excessive. Claims will be amended if mileage is deemed too high or receipts are missing.
Yes. You will need to attach a copy of your time sheet so we can verify that you attended your placement on the dates being claimed. You will also need to ensure that any tickets or receipts included on the claim form are also securely attached.
You can submit your form electronically but only if it is for mileage only. The completed form and relevant timesheet should be attached and in the content of the e-mail sign your full name and student number
We will require proof of payment for any items included on your claim. Therefore if any receipts or tickets are missing we will not reimburse you.
No, you can only claim for travelling to and from clinical placement.
An expense claim form can be accessed below or are available in paper format from any of the student information desks or the School’s finance office.
Claim forms should be handed in direct to the School’s finance office. Alternatively, you can either send them in the post to the School’s finance office or hand them into any of the Student Information desks.
No. Please submit your claims on a regular basis i.e. fortnightly, monthly etc. This will ensure that you are reimbursed on a regular basis and that your claims will not exceed the 3 month claim period.
No. We can only process payment if we have received your expense claim form within 3 months after the end of the placement. If you have failed to get the form to us within 3 months you will not be reimbursed for your expenses.
You should submit your claims on a regular basis, we suggest fortnightly but this is at your own discretion. However, we will not be able to pay any claims that are older than 3 months after the end of the placement.
If we need to only clarify information we will either ring or email you at your Cardiff University email address. If the form is incomplete we will return it to you with an explanation.
If you change address during your placement, your entitlement will be the lowest distance from either you previous or new address. You will need to inform the School of the change as we check your claim forms against the information held on SIMS.
If the address details are different we will not be able to process payment until the issue has been resolved.
If you are using your own vehicle to travel to your placement and you transport another NHS Wales Bursary funded student you are entitled to claim for your mileage and an additional 2p per mile for this passenger. You will need to include the journey and passenger details on your claim form.
We will then check that the named passenger did attend placement on the dates included on your claim. However, this would be speeded up if you ask the passenger to forward a copy of their timesheet to the finance office referring us to your claim.
If you are on community placement and travelling to different locations throughout the day you will need to include details about the places visited. Therefore you can complete one line for the total miles you travelled during the day but in the notes section you need to include details of the different areas that you travelled to.
Yes, your mentor will need to sign the expense claim form to confirm that you did undertake the journeys listed.
The payment is normally on the 30th of each month. If the 30th falls on a weekend/bank holiday, payment will be made the previous working day.
The list of payment dates in 2013 is available here: