Mr Neil Thomas
Telephone:+44 (0)29 206 87752
Location:Room 1.3, 1st Floor, Ty Dewi Sant, Heath Park, Cardiff, CF14 4XN
Associate Lecturer Role:
I am currently an Associate Lecturer teaching within adult nursing with a particular emphasis on general medicine. I will be teaching on a variety of modules within the School of Nursing including that of Clinical Patient Assessment as well as undertaking a variety of scholarly activities including clinical research, developing course materials and providing support to students and staff.
I currently work as a Clinical Case Manager covering a number of GP practices in the West neighbourhood of Cardiff. I proactively manage a high-risk caseload of around 60-70 people with complex long term conditions. The role of which involves being an expert generalist, dealing with many chronic conditions such as heart failure, diabetes, and COPD. The main focus of the role involves providing the patient with a holistic assessment, initiating diagnostic and investigative tests and prescribing the appropriate treatment in collaboration with other Primary Care colleagues. As well as providing the patient with specialist care and advice, the role also involves pro-actively identifying individuals that may be at risk of hospitalization and developing a plan of care to keep them functioning independently within their own homes. The role of Case Manager also has a care co-ordinator component, which involves orchestrating other services around the needs of the individual to ensure a whole systems approach to health care, working across both primary and secondary care settings as an integral part of the multi-disciplinary team.
- April 1997 – October 2001: Staff Nurse, Coronary Care Unit, Royal Glamorgan Hospital, Llantrisant.
- October 2001 – January 2003: Cardiology Research Nurse/ Nurse Specialist in Cardiovascular Risk and Hypertension, Wales Heart Research Institute, Cardiff.
- January 2003 – September 2004: Clinical Research Nurse/ Ward Manager, Marix Drug Development, Llantrisant.
- September 2004 – October 2006: Nurse Advisor/ Practice Development Coach, NHS Direct, Wales, Swansea.
- October 2006 – May 2008: Chronic Conditions Nurse Manager, Swansea Local Health Board.
- May 2008 – Present Date: Team Leader – Clinical Case Manager, Cardiff and Vale University Health Board.
I have a background interest in learning and education after undertaking a PGCE in 2001. I have since taught on various University Modules, as well as speaking in local and national conferences on the subject of Clinical Case Management and Chronic Conditions Management.