Skip to content
Skip to navigation menu


ASCCA PhD Fellowship Opportunities in Social Care

29 July 2013


The Welsh Government funded All-Wales Social Care Collaboration Academy (ASCCA) have announced exciting PhD Fellowship opportunities in Social Care to commence in 2014. 

The All-Wales Social Care Collaboration Academy has been set up within the National Institute for Social Care and Health Research and there are are funds for nine three-year fellowships. These will fund social care professionals based in Wales who wish to study for PhDs. These can be full or part-time. There will be at least two fellowships in each of Cardiff, South Wales, Swansea and Bangor Universities.

The funds pay for fees and for a tax free stipend of just under £14k. Fellows may be able to continue work in their organisation for a small number of hours per week (up to 7) to boost their income and keep in touch with practice. An advertisement and application form are attached.

At the Cardiff School of Social Sciences we are keen to hear from potential candidates who wish to be based in Cardiff University. Applicants must have a first degree. We are willing to consider research proposals in any subject relating to social care. We have particular strengths in all aspects of child and family social work, mental health (particularly self-harm and suicide) and older people (particularly dementia). You can see more about our research here:

Candidates based in Cardiff will join a thriving centre for social care research within a successful multi-disciplinary School of Social Sciences. External research funding to the department averages £5 million per year. There is a large doctoral student group who enjoy bespoke working facilities, support and training.

Initial enquiries should be made to Victoria Parkin, in our postgraduate research office  (; 02920 870855). She can answer queries about funding levels, application forms and eligibility. She will put applicants in touch with the most suitable social work academic for the field of study.  A social work academic within the school will discuss your research ideas with you and help you develop these into a suitable research proposal.