Skip to content
Skip to navigation menu


MA Social Work FAQs

Can I do the course part-time?

No, the course is full-time only.

Do you offer an undergraduate degree?

No, it is post-graduate only.

How is the course structured?

The course runs over two years with 100 days agency-based learning & 100 university-based teaching in each year. There are three periods of agency-based practice learning as follows:

Year One - 20 days and then 80 days

Year Two - 100 days

All university and agency based teaching and learning is structured in accordance with the National Occupational Standards for Social Work and the requirements of the Care Council for Wales. The programme will be delivered between early September and late July of each year with one week vacation periods at Christmas and Easter.

What will I study?

The first year of the course consists of the following core units:

  • Foundations of law
  • Introduction to Social Work Theory and Introduction to Social Work Practice
  • Social Science Perspectives
  • Social work and Children, Young People and Families
  • Social Work with Adults
  • Principles of Research Design

The second year consists of the following units:

  • Working in and across organisations
  • Working with Individuals, Families, Group and Communities
  • Research Processes/Dissertation
  • Workshop programme
  • Area of particular practice - one to be chosen from Social Work with Children, Young People and Families or Social Work with Adults

What financial help is available?

From September 2013 onwards, the fees for the Cardiff MA Social Work will be about £6,670 for each year of the course. There are some bursaries available from the Care Council for Wales that will help with fees and towards living expenses during the course see CCW website. - phone 029 2022 6257.

How is practice learning organised?

Each student will be hosted by one of the 10 South Wales local authorities that we are in partnership with at the outset of the programme. That local authority will then, in discussion with university staff, organise each of the 3 required periods of practice learning at agencies within its geographical boundaries.

Will I get credit for previous academic experiences?


How are the University based courses taught and assessed?

Assessment is carried out by a variety of methods including essays, project work, case studies etc. Agency based practice learning is examined and a pass recommendation by the designated practice assessor is required together with a pass in academic work.

What are the entry requirements for the MA in Social Work?

Applications are invited from both direct entry and employer-supported:

  • Graduates with a relevant degree awarded at 2ii or above with relevant experience.
  • Non-graduates over the age of 25 with a minimum of 2 years relevant experience and evidence of degree equivalent academic capacity.

In accordance with Care Council for Wales programme approval criteria, at application stage, all applicants will need to refer to relevant social care experience and to evidence Key Skills of communication and number (numeracy) at Level 2 (GCSE A-C) or equivalent. Candidates must demonstrate academic ability and outline their previous experience in relation to social care with reference to how this previous experience has helped their understanding or social care and/or the social work role.

What qualities are you looking for in candidates?

We are looking for the ability to apply relevant previous experience to social work, good interpersonal skills and a proven academic track record that will enable you to study at Masters level.

Are you looking for mature students?

We welcome applications from all candidates aged 21 years and over.

How do I apply?

Applications should be made through the UCAS (University & College Admissions Service) at or by telephoning 01242-544610