Ms Alice Clayton
Telephone:+ 44 (0)29 208 75123
Address:60 Park Place
- 2001-2004 BA Hons Education and Psychology at Cardiff University.
- 2004-2005 MA English Literature at Cardiff University. Dissertation: Resisting Restraint: The Figure of the Governess in the Victorian Novel.
- 2005-2006 PGCE (Secondary) English at Swansea Institute of Higher Education.
- 2007-2008 MSc Social Science Research Methods at Cardiff University. Dissertation: "You can't do that in a salon": An ethnographic study of a vocational course.
- 2008-present: ESRC funded PhD in Sociology at Cardiff University linked to the newly formed Wales Institute of Social and Economic Research Data and Methods (WISERD)
I currently tutor on the first year undergraduate module 'Education and Society'
My research interests include:
- Cultural leadership in Wales
- Contemporary Welsh culture
- Research methods for 'studying up'
- Social network analysis
- Gender and vocational education
The focus of this study will be cultural leaders in Wales. This refers to people who hold positions of status, esteem and influence in a variety of important Welsh cultural institutions and organisations. In Wales there are a number of interlocking relationships between the different domains including the cultural, political and commercial. Social network analysis will be used in order to map memberships to important cultural organisations using documents available in the public domain. The research will also use in-depth semi-structured interviews with identified key informants in order to hear their biographical narratives.