Mr Tim Banks
- PhD Social Sciences: Cardiff University 2011 - Present
- MSc Social Research Methods: Open University 2007 - 2011
- BSc Econ Sociology : Cardiff University 2:1 2002 - 2005
On graduating from Cardiff University in 2005, Tim Banks went on to work in social care working largely as a Support Worker in residential care settings. In 2007 he joined Headway Cardiff, a charity supporting individuals affected by Acquired Brain Injury where he worked in the role of Support worker, Assistant Day Centre Manager and Day Centre Manager. It was during this time that he undertook an MSc with the Open University.
- Medical Sociology
- Sociology of Disability
PhD Topic / Area
Provisional PhD Title: What is the relationship between identity and Acquired Brain Injury (ABI) with particular reference to rehabilitation?
The aim of this research is to explore ABI survivor experiences of rehabilitation in terms of practising identity. Specifically, I wish to understand:
- How does ABI and processes and practices of rehabilitation interact with identity work and development of an individual’s sense of self?
- What role do outside agencies and other actors (e.g. family members, health care professionals etc) play in developing this relationship between ABI and self identity?
- How does this inform us with regard to how ABI rehabilitation is organised?