Prof Gareth Rees
- 1972: M.Phil. (Sociology)
- 1970: B.A. (Philosophy, Politics and Economics)
Both Jesus College, Oxford
- 1999- : Professor, Cardiff School of Social Sciences, Cardiff University.
- 1995-99: Professor of Education Policy (Post-Compulsory), School of Education, Cardiff University.
- 1994-95: Research Professor, Department of Adult Continuing Education, University of Wales Swansea.
- 1990-94: Senior Lecturer in Sociology, School of Social and Administrative Studies, University of Wales Cardiff.
- 1988-90: Lecturer in Sociology, School of Social and Administrative Studies, University of Wales Cardiff.
- 1982-88: Lecturer, Department of Sociology, University College, Cardiff.
- 1974-82: Lecturer, Department of City and Regional Planning, University of Wales Institute of Science and Technology, Cardiff.
- 1973-74: Research Fellow, Home Office Community Development Project, Glyncorrwg, West Glamorgan.
- 2003-07: Director of the Research and Graduate School in the Social Sciences, Cardiff University.
- 2001-02: Acting Director, Cardiff School of Social Sciences, Cardiff University.
- 1999-2003: Deputy Director, Cardiff School of Social Sciences, Cardiff University.
- 1997-1999: Head of the School of Education, Cardiff University.
Awards and Prizes
- 2004: Elected Academician of the Academy of the Social Sciences (UK).
- 1995: Visiting Professor, Department of Educational Studies, University of British Columbia.
- 1992: Visiting Fellow, School of Sociology, University of New South Wales.
- 1991-92: Australian Studies Fellowship, Commonwealth Studies Institute.
- 1987-88: Visiting Fellow, School of Sociology, University of New South Wales.
Memberships / External Activities
- 2007- : Member of the ESRC Research Grants Board.
- 2006- : Member of the Editorial Board of the British Journal of Educational Studies.
- 2006-08: Member of the RAE 2008 Education Sub-Panel.
- 2003-07: Member of the Executive Council of the British Educational Research Association.
Current Teaching Includes:
- Education and Society - Level 1;
- Contemporary Sociology of Education - Level 2;
- Research Design in Practice - Level M;
- Globalisation and the Knowledge Economy - Level M;
- The Social Contexts of Education - Level D.
Supervision of PhDs in the following areas:
- Adult learning and the learning society;
- Learning and regeneration;
- Workplace learning;
- Education policy in the countries of the UK;
- Education and economic development.