Dr Heather Ottaway
Career ProfileDr Heather Ottaway has been a Lecturer in Social Work in Cardiff School of Social Sciences since 2011. She successfully completed her PhD in 2012 (title: ‘sibling connections: an exploration of adopted people’s birth and adoptive sibling relationships across the life-span’). Prior to undertaking her PhD Heather worked for 11 years as a children and families social worker, primarily in the fields of child protection, fostering/ adoption and with children and their families affected by disability.
Memberships / External Activities
- 2012 - Member of Welsh Government’s Expert Advisory Group on Adoption
- 2012 – Member of the British Sociological Association
- 2005 – Present Registered Social Worker with the General Social Care Council.
Module leader: Social Science Perspectives (MASW Levels 1 & 2)
Module leader: Anti-discriminatory Practice (MASW Level 1)
Teaching on the following MASW modules:
- Principles and Practice of Research Design (Master’s Level; Post-qualifying programme).
- Introduction to Social Work Theory (MASW Levels 1)
- Introduction to Social Work Practice (MASW Level 1)
Teaching on the following undergraduate modules within the School:
- Children and Childhood (2nd year undergraduate)
- Social Research Methods (2nd year undergraduate)
Masters dissertation supervision.