Skip to content
Skip to navigation menu


Disability and Special Needs

Both Cardiff University and History and Welsh History Department are committed to providing support for disabled students. To help achieve this, a wide range of facilities, services and support structures have been put in place.

This section of the History & Welsh History website provides information on the kinds of support services offered:

Students with Disabilities or Dyslexia

If you have a disability or dyslexia that may impact on your studies or performance in assessment, please contact the  University's Disability & Dyslexia Service. Applications for special provision in examinations must be made to the Head of History & Welsh History, Chair of the Examining Board, at the beginning of each academic year.

Central University Disability & Dyslexia Service

Cardiff University provides a wide range of support services for students with disabilities and other special needs. The University's Disability & Dyslexia Service is the gateway through which these services can be accessed. The Service has a number of dedicated specialists to offer advice and assistance. The Service has two main student centres, each located at one of the University's campuses.

Extenuating Circumstances affecting Assessment

The Examining Board has the discretion to take into account any extenuating circumstances that have adversely affected a student’s performance in assessment. It is your responsibility to report any significant extenuating circumstances that, in your opinion, had or will have a substantial impact on your performance in coursework or examination. For example, this might include:

  • Ill health
  • Personal circumstances / compassionate grounds
  • Parental responsibilities

These circumstances can be reported to your Module Convenor or Personal Tutor, the Part One tutor, the Senior Tutor, or the Head of Department.  You are advised to provide documentary support about the problems and the period which they affect – e.g. doctor’s notes, a statement of support from your tutor, etc, but it is recognised that this is not always possible. You can use the form in the "Related Resources" to do this. Any information supplied is treated in the strictest confidence.

Related Links
  • Disability and Dyslexia Service

    Support for prospective and current students with specific learning difficulties, those who are disabled and those with long-term medical conditions.