The Sustainable Places Research Institute is about making new connections in sustainability research. It is about finding pragmatic, policy-led locally-based solutions for individual cities, regions and nations.
The irreversible consequences of climate change and resource depletion are being felt across the globe, and in very different ways in different places. Yet we have been slow to come up with innovative responses and solutions which take account of the unique relationships between economic, ecological and social processes at local levels.
The Research Institute has six interlinked research programmes:
- Transitions and adaptations in selected city-regions
- Security, risk and resilient places
- Resilience and adaptation in coupled physical, ecological and social systems
- Health and connected communities
- Adaptive governance for social and ecological transitions
- Adaptations around mobilities, flows and migrations