Cardiff University sees fundamental research both as essential to human aspiration and as critical to the development of cultural artefacts, technologies and services to improve the quality of life for all.
Our experts are acknowledged as undertaking work of national and international significance. Their cutting-edge research has earned us a reputation for excellence and impact.
We are now challenged to enhance our position as a successful, research intensive university on an increasingly competitive international stage. Our ambition is to be consistently among the top 100 universities in the world and the top 20 in the UK.
Our Research, Innovation and Enterprise strategy (2012-2017) is based on supporting and delivering research excellence. We will ensure our research has global impact by tackling the grand challenges of our time.
We will be achieve this by:
- increasing our research income from grants and contracts and broadening the range of income sources
- continuing to develop our University Research Institutes, tackling critical global issues that require cross disciplinary co-operation
- growing our reputation as an Innovation University with the development of an Innovation System
- continuing to develop innovation and development links with business in Wales, in the UK more widely and internationally as part of a strategic aim to boost growth and prosperity in Wales
- equipping our graduates with the required entrepreneurial capacity so that they can contribute to the growth of the knowledge economy
- engaging closely with Horizon 2020 and other aspects of the European innovation agenda and explore collaborations with high-quality research universities in Wales, the UK and internationally