We link expertise in neuroscience and mental health across the University.
The Research Institute is a joint collaboration within the College of Biomedical and Life Sciences between the Schools of:
The Research Institute also collaborate with the following partners to help support existing discovery and translational research leading to greater understanding of mental illness.
- MRC Centre for Neuropathic Genetics and Genomics
- National Centre for Mental Health
- Brain Research Imaging Centre (CUBRIC)
- Experimental MRI Centre (EMRIC)
Additional collaborations with other Schools, Institutes and Centres are welcomed.
The Research Institute will build on and develop further the work of the virtual Cardiff Neurosciences Centre helping to encourage networking, facilitate new ideas and helps promote interdisciplinary research across all neuroscience.
Key funding allows us to support our planned programmes of research, training and the purchase of much needed new equipment. The Research Institute will continue to work with and secure external research funding. The Research Institute will work alongside partners including:
- Medical Research Council (MRC)
- The Wellcome Trust
- Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC)
- The Royal Society
- The National Assembly for Wales
- Welsh Assembly Government
- Action Medical Research
- The Severnside Alliance for Translational Research (SARTRE)
- European Union
We will also continue to work alongside external companies including:
- GlaxoSmithKline Research and Development Ltd
- Astrazeneca UK Ltd
- Brucker Biospin Ltd
- Cambridge Cognition
- Pfizer Ltd
- European Commission
- Thermofisher Scientific
The Research Institute will continue to develop neuroscience links with other UK Universities, in particular through their Neuroscience research centres:
- Bristol Neuroscience
- Cambridge Neuroscience
- Edinburgh Neuroscience
- University College, London (UCL) Neuroscience
Related charities, trusts and organisations
The Research Institute will continue to work with key external charities, trusts and organisations.
- Bipolar UK
- Alzheimer's Research Trust
- Huntington's Disease Association
- Alzheimer's Society
- Parkinson's UK
- Age UK
- The Progressive Supranuclear Palsy Association
- EuroStem Cell "Europe's stem cell hub"
- The Leverhulme Trust
- Genetics Society
- The Bailey Thomas Charitable Trust
- The Sir Jules Thorn Charitable Trust
- The British Medical Association
- Rett Syndrome Association UK
- Mental Health Research Network Cymru