Research Centre for Sustainable Urban and Regional Food (SURF)
The Research Centre for Sustainable Urban and Regional Food (SURF) carries out world-class research into food geographies - with a special attention for the role of cities and regions.
It builds on the interdisciplinary expertise of our long–established food research community at the School of Geography and Planning and Sustainable Places Research Institute to promote research, teaching and post-graduate training in the area of sustainable urban and regional food systems.
- To design and take forward interdisciplinary and path-breaking research on urban and regional food systems.
- To provide a focus for the School’s already extensive policy, advisory and stakeholder engagement activities from global (FAO, European Commission, WFP and UN-HABITAT) to national/local (DEFRA, Scottish and Welsh Government) work.
- To disseminate research that contributes to meet today’s grand challenges about food security, sustainability and justice.
- To support the training, career development and funding of researchers working on sustainable food systems.
- The opportunities for (and barriers to) to food security and sustainability.
- The implications of food policies on the spatial and socio-economic relationships between different actors in the food system and between rural and urban areas.
- The development effects of strategies that address the welfare and health needs of the human and animal population.
- Morgan, K. J. 2010. Local and green, global and fair: the ethical foodscape and the politics of care. Environment and Planning A 42 (8), pp.1852-1867. (10.1068/a42364)
- Morgan, K. J. and Sonnino, R. 2010. The urban foodscape: world cities and the new food equation. Cambridge Journal of Regions, Economy and Society 3 (2), pp.209-224. (10.1093/cjres/rsq007)
|Transmango: Assessment of the impact of drivers of change on Europe's food and nutrition security||European Union, 2014-2018||Sonnino, Marsden and Moragues Faus|
|Knowledge Brokerage Activities to Promote Sustainable Food Consumption and Production: Linking Scientists, Policymakers and Civil Society Organizations (FOODLINKS)||European Commission, 2011-2013||Sonnino and Morgan|
|Urban, Peri-Urban and Regional Food Dynamics: Towards an Integrated and Territorial Approach to Food (PUREFOOD)||European Commission, 2010-2014||Sonnino|
|Growing a Healthy Older Population: Community and allotment gardening amongst older people in South Wales||National Institute for Social Care and Health Research, 2011-13||Milbourne|
|Assessment of the application of the EU 2010 directive on meat chickens’ welfare||DEFRA, 2012-2014||Miele|
|An exploration of factors that influence the expansion of the area affected by endemic bTB||DEFRA, 2012-2014||Enticott|
|Farmers’ confidence in vaccines for bovine tuberculosis||DEFRA, 2010-2015||Enticott|
|Pilot EU Centre on Animal Welfare and Research Network||EUWelNet’ EU DG-Sanco, 2013||Miele|
|Action Research: Solidarity Purchasing Groups in Valencia||Generalitat Valenciana, Spain, 2011-2013||Moragues Faus|
|Participation of small farmers in fair trade initiatives in Latin America: collective action, governance and social capital||Centre for Cooperation and International Development-UPV, 2011-2013||Moragues Faus|
|The halal meat market in Wales, potentials and barriers||Welsh Government, 2012||Miele|
|Biodiversity and Food Security: Developing Collaborative Policy for Seagrass Conservation||Darwin initiative for UK Overseas Territories Challenge Fund, 2012-2013||Smith (participant)|
|Community action for climate change: Pathfinder learning review||Welsh Government , 2012-2013||Franklin|
|Sustainable agri-food systems and rural development in the Mediterranean Partner Countries (SUSTAINMED)||European Commission, 2011-2012||Moragues Faus (participant)|
|Forecast for the Future: Scaling Up the Community Food Sector||Plunkett Foundation, 2010-12||Morgan and Sonnino|
|Assessing Sustainability in the Context of Food Security||Joint Research Centre, European Commission, 2012-13||Sonnino and Moragues Faus|
|Community Grown Food in Wales||Welsh Government, 2010-11||Milbourne|
|Planting Spaces, Growing Places: Community gardening in disadvantaged urban neighbourhoods in the UK||Cardiff University, 2008-12||Milbourne|
|Cultures of veterinary regulation||ESRC, 2008-2010||Enticott|
|Veterinary Capacity in Wales||Welsh Government, 2008-2010||Enticott|
Professor of Environmental Policy and Planning
- +44 (0)29 2087 5781
Senior Lecturer in Human Geography
- +44 (0)29 2087 6181
- +44 (0)29 2087 6243
Professor of Environmental Policy and Planning
- +44 (0)29 2087 5736
Professor in Human Geography
- +44 (0)29 2087 9121
Head of the School of Geography and Planning
- +44 (0)29 2087 5791
- +44 (0)29 2087 5774
Professor of Governance and Development
- +44 (0)29 2087 6090