Central Biotechnology Services (CBS)
We can enable you to conduct your life sciences and biotechnology research in the laboratories of our technology facility.
The facilities available at Central Biotechnology Services (CBS) are wide-ranging and include genomics, protein analysis and cell analysis/imaging platforms.
CBS has been awarded ISO 9001:2008 certification by BSI. This is an internationally recognised benchmark for quality held by only 8% of UK businesses.
We offer contract research options and managed services from our team of technologists with additional key inputs from internationally recognised researchers. We often host companies and provide laboratory facilities and can facilitate access to other University resources.
Genomics and bioinformatics
- DNA Sanger sequencing
- microarray analysis (Affymetrix and Illumina platforms)
- real-time qPCR platforms (ABI QuantStudio 12k and ViiA7)
- bioinformatics analysis
- Biacore SPR (3000 and T200 instruments)
- Meso Scale Discovery (MSD) system
Cell analysis and imaging
- multiple flow cytometry instruments (8, 9 and 16 colours using 2 x BD Cantos, Beckman CyAn and a BD LSRFortessa (4 laser) cell analyser
- BD FACSAria III cell sorter (11 colour and 3 laser instrument)
- confocal microscopy two Leica SP5 instruments) and light microscopy solutions
- electron microscopy (JOEL 840A SEM and FE1 CM12 TEM)
- x-ray imaging, bone density calculations, fluorescence and bioluminescence imaging
How they help
CBS has a proven track record of working with both SMEs and large multinational companies.
Minton, Treharne & Davies provide scientific consultancy, surveying and testing services and used the CBS DNA Sequencing service for over two years. Dr Paul Rice who leads on Medical Diagnostics at the company said: "CBS provided a quick, efficient and friendly sequencing service that consistently and reliably turned around hundreds of sequences in a short time for the two year duration of my project. The sequencing service was also able to provide expert advice when problems arose with sequencing. Overall, an efficient and friendly service."