Zeiss Lightsheet Z.1
The Zeiss Lightsheet Z.1 is a state of the art, single plane illumination microscope (SPIM) system for multi-colour, 3D/4D imaging of thick fluorescent samples (live or fixed, cleared specimens) with high spatio-temporal resolution.
|Make/model||Zeiss Lightsheet Z.1|
|Details||Fully-integrated turn-key system for fluorescence lightsheet microscopy with environmental control.|
|Facility||Bioimaging Research Hub|
The Zeiss Z.1 is a fully-integrated, turn-key system for lightsheet fluorescence microscopy. It has x5 and x10 illumination optics and x5, x10, x20 and x63 detection optics with sample chambers for both live and fixed-cleared samples. The system has 6 laser lines and 5 filter modules allowing excitation of a wide range of fluorescent probes from 405nm-638nm.
Image collection is via two high resolution sCMOS PCO.Edge cameras. The system is fully automated through Zeiss Zen software and has arivis Vision4D software for advanced 3D/4D rendering applications. The lightsheet is fully equipped with environmental control via temperature and CO2 incubation.
- 5x/0.16 EC Plan-Neofluar; WD = 5.6mm
- 10x/0.5 W Plan Apo; WD = 3.7mm (water immersion)
- 20x/1.0 Pan Neofluar Corr ; WD = 5.6mm
- 20x/1.0 W Plan Apo; WD = 2.4mm (wáter immersion)
- 63x/1.0 W Plan Apo; WD = 2.1mm ( water immersion)
- 405nm (20mW)
- 445nm (25mW)
- 488nm (30mW)
- 515nm (20mW)
- 561nm (20mW)
- 638nm (75mW)
Internal users can book the equipment using the shared Outlook calendar ‘BIOSI – Zeiss Z1 Lightsheet’. Details of how to book equipment through Outlook.
Please keep to your allotted booking time. You will be charged for the time that you have reserved the instrument for, irrespective of usage. The minimum booking time is 1 hour.
Cancellations should be made at least 24 hours in advance. If you fail to turn up for a booking you will be charged.
- Supported use: £27.00 per hour
- Unsupported use: £19.00 per hour
For costs for external users please contact the Academic lead for Imaging:
Dr Pete Watson
Phone: +44 (0)29 2087 9042
Please contact Dr Tony Hayes for details.
To comply with Cardiff University Health and Safety Policy, individuals must receive appropriate training before using this equipment and be aware of the risks involved in its use. Users must refer to the Zeiss Z.1 risk assessment.
It is the user's responsibility to complete a risk assessment for their own specific application if necessary.
All users are expected to observe the following rules and regulations. Failure to comply will result in loss of access rights:
- Food and drink are not permitted within the facility.
- All waste material (including laboratory gloves) should be properly disposed of outside of the facility
- Coats and bags when left on the floor in a low light environment represent a tripping hazard. Either hang them on the internal door hooks or, better still, do not bring them into the imaging suites.
- Do not use any equipment that you have not been properly trained for. All users should familiarise themselves with the appropriate risk assessments for the procedures being undertaken.
- All USB data storage devices must be virus checked before plugging them into any of our systems.
- All systems should be correctly powered down at the end of your session and usage correctly logged in the database.
Dr Anthony J Hayes
- +44 (0)29 2087 6611
No results were found