Slide scanning microscope
An Objective Imaging semi-automated slide scanning system allows whole slide scanning of histological tissue sections for digital analysis and archiving.
The system rapidly surveys and acquires large-scale high-resolution mosaic images at camera frame rates from multiple sequential image fields across a tissue section via raster scanning and adaptive focussing.
The mosaic images are seamlessly stitched together in real time and can be freely navigated and manipulated as high-resolution overviews or as user-selected regions of interest.
This system is available for use with or without technical support.
|Make/model||Objective Imaging Surveyor Slide Scanning System|
|Details||The microscope allows whole slide scanning and mosaic stitching of histological sections under brightfield illumination.|
|Facility||Bioimaging Research Hub|
The scanner consists of an Olympus BX41 brightfield microscope equipped with 5x, 10x, 20x and 40x objectives, a QImaging QICAM Fast 1394 colour digital camera (with associated PC) and an OASIS motorised XYZ stage that can be controlled by a joystick or directly via the Surveyor software.
- 4x/0.10 Plan N
- 10x/0.30 UPlan FL N
- 20x/0.75 UPlan S Apo
- 40x/0.75 UPlan FL N
Internal users can book the equipment using the shared ‘BIOSI - Olympus BX40 Slide Scanner’ Outlook calendar.
Please keep to your allotted booking time. You will be charged for the time that you have reserved the instrument for, irrespective of usage. The minimum booking time is 1 hour.
Cancellations should be made at least 24 hours in advance. If you fail to turn up for a booking you will be charged.
Supported: £25.00 (30 minute induction)
Unsupported: £5.00 per hour
For costs for external users please contact the Academic lead for Imaging:
Dr Pete Watson
Phone: +44 (0)29 2087 9042
All users must be trained and registered by Bioimaging Unit staff before using any of the instruments within the Unit.
For assistance in costings and pricings for grant preparation, please contact the School of Biosciences Finance Officer:
Miss Janet Davies
Phone: +44 (0)29 2087 4167
To comply with Cardiff University Health and Safety Policy, individuals must receive appropriate training before using any of the imaging equipment within the Bioimaging Unit and be aware of the risks involved in its use.
If top-up training is required, please notify Unit staff when making a booking and this can be provided prior to your planned session.
Rules and regulations
All users are expected to observe the following:
- Food and drink are not permitted within the facility.
- All waste material (including laboratory gloves) should be properly disposed of outside of the facility – we are not responsible for your waste.
- Coats and bags when left on the floor in a low light environment represent a tripping hazard. Either hang them on the internal door hooks or, better still, do not bring them into the imaging suites.
- Do not use any equipment that you have not been properly trained for. All users should familiarise themselves with the appropriate risk assessments for the procedures being undertaken.
- All USB data storage devices must be virus checked before plugging them into any of our systems.
- All systems should be correctly powered down at the end of your session and usage correctly logged in the database.
- Please keep to your allotted booking time. You will be charged for the time that you have reserved the instrument for, irrespective of usage. The minimum booking time is 1 hour.
- Cancellations should be made at least 24 hours in advance. If you fail to turn up for a booking you will be charged.
If you fail to comply you will lose your access rights
Dr Anthony J Hayes
- +44 (0)29 2087 6611
Sir Martin Evans Building