Professor Richard Wyn Jones
Professor of Welsh Politics
- +44(0)29 2087 5448
- 2.03, 46 Park Place
Richard is a regular and widely respected broadcaster, commentating on Welsh politics in both Welsh and English for the BBC in Wales and across the UK. He has also presented two TV series and is a regular columnist for the Welsh language current affairs magazine Barn.
My principal research interests are contemporary Welsh politics, territorial governance in the UK, nationalism, critical security studies and critical social theory.
- Co-principal investigator with Dr Roger Scully Welsh Election Survey 2011, ESRC. Sum Awarded £85,000.
- Centre for Federalism Studies, Turin, €10,000. October 2010 – December 2011
- James Madison Trust, £5,000 Spring 2009.
- ‘Welsh Legislation On-line 2009-2010,’ July 2009, £31,195 from the Centre for Welsh Medium Higher Education.
- ‘Citizens after the Nation State’ Survey 2009, £25,000 from the Welsh Assembly Government.
- Scoping Study of evidence on public attitudes towards devolution on behalf of the All Wales Convention (with GfK/NOP), Autumn 2008: Sum awarded £4,000.
- Continuation of Monitoring Reports 2008-2011, £50,000 from Welsh Assembly Government and Assembly Commission, July 2008.
- Co-principal investigator with Dr Roger Scully. 2007 Welsh Election Survey, ESRC. Sum awarded £43,147.
- Co-principal investigator with Dr Elin Royles of a project on ‘The International Relations of the Assembly: Assessing Paradiplomacy in Post-Devolution Wales’ which is supported by a full-time University of Wales Board of Celtic Studies Research Assistant – value approximately £50,000. September 2007 – September 2008.
- UWA in receipt of a £50,000 donation from Vaerdre Ltd. to ‘support the research work of Richard Wyn Jones and the Institute of Welsh Politics’, Autumn 2006.
- Principal investigator to the Welsh Language Board for ‘Community Development and Language Policy,’ September 2006-February 2009. Sum awarded £45,000.
- Co-principal investigator with Dr Roger Scully and Aled Elwyn Jones to the European Commission for conference in May 2006 on European Regions. Sum Awarded €3,672.
- • Principal investigator to the Welsh Language Board for ‘Language Policy in Wales, the Basque Country and Catalonia: A Comparative Analysis,’ February 2005-February 2008. Sum awarded £34,342.39.
- Co-principal investigator with Professors Ken Booth and Colin McInnes and Dr Roger Scully to HEFCW for ‘Wales and the World’, September 2003-2006. Sum awarded £999,472.
- Principal investigator to the Electoral Commission for ‘Welsh Voter Motivators Study’, May – November 2002. Sum awarded £40,800. Research team included Roger Scully, Dafydd Trystan and NOP.
- Co-principal investigator with Professor Anthony Heath, Nuffield College, Oxford, to the ESRC for funding for two Welsh Electoral Surveys in 2001 and 2003. ESRC grant of £274,984.00 awarded in July 2000. Award number L219 25 2042. ESRC end-of-award report graded the project as ‘Outstanding’, January 2007.
- Co- principal investigator with Professor Anthony Heath, Nuffield College, Oxford, to the ESRC for funding for the 1999 Welsh Assembly Election Survey. ESRC grant of £125,303 awarded in January 1999. Award number R000238070. ESRC end-of-award report graded the project as ‘Outstanding’, November 2001.
- Awarded £1,826.54 by the University of Wales Aberystwyth to employ Research Assistant for 3 months to collect and collate information on the politics of devolution in Wales 1888 – 1997. September – December 1998.
- Awarded funding by the University of Wales Board of Celtic Studies to employ full-time Research Assistant for two years on a project on the 1997 Welsh devolution referendum – value approximately. £40,000. August 1997 – August 1999.
- Part of successful bid in conjunction with the Centre for Research into Elections and Social Trends (CREST) to the ESRC for £50,000 to conduct 1997 Welsh Referendum Survey. Award Number M543285001.
I have extensive experience in supervising doctoral students. I am currently primary or joint-primary supervisor for two students and would welcome the opportunity to supervise more. During my careers so far I have acted as primary or joint-primary supervisor for the following, all of whom have submitted and received their doctorates:
- Non Gwilym (ESRC fellowship holder),
- Rebecca Jones (ESRC fellowship holder),
- Dafydd Trystan (ESRC fellowship holder),
- Paul Williams (ESRC fellowship holder),
- Pinar Bilgin (Departmental Award Holder),
- Elin Royles (ESRC fellowship holder – her thesis was awarded the PSA Walter Bagehot Prize for the best thesis in the area of Government and Public Administration 2004-05),
- Emily Charette (ORS award - her thesis was awarded the PSA Lord Bryce Prize for Best Dissertation in International Relations/Comparative Studies for 2005-2006),
- Columba Peoples (Departmental Award Holder – his thesis was awarded the BISA Thesis Prize for Best Dissertation in International Relations 2006-2007),
- Ted Parry
- Mustafa Kucuk (Turkish government scholarship holder)
- Owain Llŷr ap Gareth
- Patrick Carlin (funded by the Welsh Language Board)
- Huw Lewis (ESRC fellowship holder)
- Douglas Jones
- John Glyn (funded by the Welsh Language Board)