President's Research Scholars in Drug Discovery & development report findings after 4 months
21 January 2011
Presidents Scholars in Drug Discovery & development, with speakers at the Entrepreneurship Symposium
l-r. Jitka Soukupova, Athanasios Anthopoulos, Blanka Gonczy, Dr Tim McCarthy, Prof Chris Wood, Alan Stone, Prof Sir Chris Evans, Brendan Rowan, Aine Sinead FlynnLink to full sized image 534.9 Kb
'Drug Discovery and Development', led by Prof Chris McGuigan, is one of eleven subject areas supported by the President's Research Scholarships being offered by Cardiff University.
All six studentships have been filled and the President's Scholars have been in post since September/October 2010. They participated in the Entrepreneurship Symposium organised by Prof McGuigan on 20th January and each presented a poster describing their initial research. The three guest speakers were impressed by the knowledge, skills and enthusiasm demonstrated by the group.
The six Scholars are as follows:
- Blanka Gonczy, based in the Welsh School of Pharmacy and supervised by Prof McGuigan.
- Aine Sinead Flynn, based in the School of Medicine with Dr Ned Powell
- Brendan Rowan, based in the School of Chemistry under Prof Peter Edwards
- Athanasios Anthopoulos, based in the Welsh School of Pharmacy and Dr Andrea Brancale
- Alan Stone, based in the School of Psychology under Prof Richard Wise
- Jitka Soukupova, based in the School of Biosciences, supervised by Dr Richard Clarkson
For more information on the individual projects please see: