Time-Line of the Welsh School of Pharmacy to 1959
Formation of the Pharmaceutical Society in London, one of whose aims was to improve and standardise education & training of entrants to the profession.
Opening of the Society’s school of pharmacy in London, with Theophillus Redwood (of Boverton, Glamorgan) as the first professor of pharmacy in G.B., a post he held until 1885.
No pharmacy classes in South Wales – nearest school was in Bristol (founded 1869).
Welsh College of Pharmacy founded as part of the then Cardiff Technical College, located in the current Bute Building. First head was Mr T. Lewis (1919-1929).
Photograph of the first year of students and staff, taken outside of the then Cardiff Technical College Building (current Bute Building), probably on the occasion of the first Prize Day on 21st October 1920. Students at that time would have sat the Pharmaceutical Society’s minor exam.
External degree in pharmacy of the University of London offered.
R. Vernon Lloyd appointed Head of School, a post he held until retirement in 1967. His painting hangs at the top of the stairwell in the Redwood Building. Vernon Lloyd’s main task on appointment was to instigate an internal degree within the remit of the University of Wales.
A crest is designed for WPSA, the Welsh Pharmacy Students’ Association by J. Malcolm Davies (Deputy Head) – (hangs on the second floor landing).
WPSA original crest from 1930
Bachelor of Pharmacy degree of the University of Wales established.
B.Pharm. degree taught side by side with the Pharmaceutical Society’s Diploma. Some elements of the course were taught in the then Welsh National School of Medicine.
First graduates of the BPharm (Wales) degree.
War years. Some departments from London University, including pharmacy, housed temporarily in University College.
Master of Pharmacy (MPharm) degree of the University of Wales offered for research of an appropriate standard. This was the first such degree in Great Britain – to be followed shortly afterwards by Nottingham and London Universities.
The B.Pharm. (Wales) degree had been awarded to 49 candidates since its inception.
Cardiff Technical College becomes Cardiff College of Technology and Commerce (various ‘non-advanced’ course transferred to other institutions in Cardiff).
College becomes the Welsh CAT (College of Advanced Technology).
Welsh College of Pharmacy renamed Welsh School of Pharmacy.
Vernon Lloyd appointed Vice-Principal of the Welsh CAT, and remains Head of WSP.