Time-Line of the Welsh School of Pharmacy 1978 to 2009
Professor Paul Spencer appointed as Head of School.
The establishment of the Welsh Committee for Postgraduate Pharmaceutical Education with a remit for the provision of continuing education for pharmacists in Wales (first meeting was actually in January 1979).
Welsh Office provides funding to WSP for continuing education for pharmacists in Wales. John Hough is appointed Director of Postgraduate Pharmaceutical Studies (part-time). Later in the year, he is replaced by David Bailey.
Contraction of staff numbers due to the squeeze on University funding by the Government of the day.
Postgraduate Diploma in Clinical Pharmacy established jointly with the Southern Derbyshire Health Authority.
First full-time Director of Postgraduate Pharmaceutical Studies (David Temple) appointed following increased funding from Welsh Office.
Merger of UWIST with University College Cardiff to become the University of Wales College of Cardiff. Start of relocation of several departments out of the Redwood Building.
WSP expands to occupy nearly half of the Redwood Building.
The British Pharmaceutical Conference held in Cardiff, using “University of Cardiff” facilities. It was one of the last conferences to be organised by the local branch of the Society. Professor Spencer was Vice-Chair of the organising committee, which also included Mike Barnett and Tony Armstrong. Professor Ian Kellaway was Science Chairman and Linda Stone (alumni nee Gordon) was President of the Society. Several members of staff assisted during the four days of the conference (September 10-13th). Previous BPCs had been held in Cardiff in 1891, 1930 and 1965).
The Welsh Centre for Post-Graduate Pharmaceutical Education opened by Mr Nicholas Bennett (Under Secretary of State in the Welsh Office) on 15th March.
WSP celebrates 75 years of history.
Professor Spencer is appointed Pro-Vice Chancellor with a responsibility for University building and infrastructure, but remains as Head of School.
WSP awarded a grade 5 in the RAE (Research Assessment Exercise).
WSP achieves an ‘excellent in teaching’ following inspection by HEFCW.
Professor Spencer steps down as HoS, but remains Pro-Vice Chancellor until 1998.
Professor David Luscombe is appointed Head of WSP.
WCPPE is relocated to 8 North Road.
Start of the four year modular MPharm degree.
The Queen visits the Redwood Building and opens the Tenovus Cancer Research Laboratories on 15th June.
First students graduate with a University of Wales MPharm degree.
Professor Luscombe steps down as HoS. Professor Stephen Denyer joins the School from Brighton as the new HoS.
The School of Optometry moves out of the Redwood Building and most of its space is allocated to Pharmacy.
The first students graduate with an MPharm degree awarded by Cardiff University
90 in 09 the School celebrates 90years of history