Skip to content
Skip to navigation menu

 

History and Heritage of the School of Pharmacy in Cardiff

 

The School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, or Welsh College of Pharmacy as it was originally known, was established in 1919 in the then Cardiff Technical College, housed in what is now termed the Bute Building. (Prior to 1919 there were no formal classes in pharmacy offered anywhere in Wales, the nearest such classes being available in Bristol.)

Hence in the year 2009, we celebrated 90 years of history.

 

photo of Welsh College of Pharmacy first Session October 1920  259.0 Kb

Staff and students at the first Prize Day, October 21st 1920

 

The B.Pharm. (Wales) degree was introduced in 1936, with the first graduates in 1939.

Since the Second World War, there have been various name changes of the parent body, a move to a new building in 1960, now called the Redwood Building, together with the introduction of the four year degree, the M.Pharm.. Alongside this, various mergers of University Colleges in Cardiff have created today's Cardiff University.

A full time line of the development of the School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences is available separately.

Up to 1959,   1960-1978,   197-2009   since 2009

The School is now considered one of the foremost schools of pharmacy in the UK. Its influence is felt in many aspects of the practice of pharmacy in this country and around the World. No fewer than 5 presidents of the Royal Pharmaceutical Society were graduates from the School and the only pharmacist in recent times to be knighted, Sir Roger Jones, graduated in 1966, at the end of his year as Chairman of the student body, WPSA.  

More examples of distinguished Alumni are given on a separate page, whilst a separate section of this web-site describes influence and outreach of current staff.

More recent achievements of the School and Alumni can be found on the respective News pages

A separate section describes the "Turner Collection" of pharmaceutical artefacts on display in the Redwood Building