Dr Dylan Foster Evans MA (Cantab), PhD (Cymru)
Reader and Deputy Head of School
- Welsh speaking
- +44 (0)29 2087 4951
- 1.71, John Percival Building
My main area of research is the poetry of the late Middle Ages. I have produced editions of the work of several poets (including contributing to an edition of the poems of Dafydd ap Gwilym) and have published a number of critical studies in the field. I am particularly interested in the relationship between poetry, identity, material culture and the environment.
A second area of interest is the Welsh language in Cardiff. My work in this area covers the history of the language, its culture and literature and also its role in the formation of identity in a varied and multi-ethnic city.
My teaching focuses primarily on medieval literature and the Welsh language in Cardiff. More generally, I am interested in the role of Welsh in the education system and the different types of Welsh used in contemporary Wales.
- Member of the Academic Board of the Coleg Cymraeg Cenedlaethol
- Member of the Place Name Standardisation Panel of the Welsh Language Commissioner
BA in Welsh
- CY1603 Herio’r Traddodiad Llenyddol (Challenging the Literary Tradition)
- CY1751 Diwylliant Cymraeg Dinas Caerdydd [The Welsh-language Culture of Cardiff]
- CY3305 Dafydd ap Gwilym
- CY3100 Ailddehongli Llenyddiaeth yr Oesoedd Canol [Reinterpreting Medieval Literature]
- CY3900 Blas ar Ymchwil [An Introduction to Research]
- CY3905 Ymchwilio Estynedig [Extended Research]
MA in Welsh and Celtic Studies
- CYD400 Academic and Professional Research
- CYD401 Special Subject 1
- CYD401 Special Subject 2
- CYD403 Extended Research Project
I am currently working on a project on the history of medieval Welsh literature. I am also currently developing a project on the history of the Welsh language in Cardiff and would welcome any inquiries in that area.