Dr Giampaolo Pisano
PhD in Astronomy
Director of Postgraduate Studies
Astronomy Instrumentation Group
- Director of Postgraduate Research Studies
- Member of the School Board, Research Committee, Teaching Committee, Equality & Diversity Committee, Postgraduate Staff/Student Panel
- Supervisor of a PDRA
- Supervisor of a Technician
- Library representative for the School of Physics and Astronomy
- Laurea degree in Physics (1996) at 'La Sapienza' University of Rome
- PhD in Astronomy (2001) at 'La Sapienza' University of Rome
- PDRA position at Queen Mary College of London (2001)
- PDRA positions at Cardiff University (2001-2005)
- Lecturer at the University of Manchester (2006-2014)
- Senior Lecturer at Cardiff University (2014-)
- Year 1&2 tutor
- Year 3&4 project supervisor
- Year 3 module organiser PX3245: "High Energy Astrophysics"
- Year 4 module organiser PX4230: "Physics and Reality"
- Previously: Year 3 module organiser: "Cosmology"
I work in the field of mm and sub-mm experimental astrophysics. I develop new instrumentation mainly focused to the detection of the B-modes of the Cosmic Microwave Background radiation. I have developed waveguide components with very high RF performance such as phase shifters, orthomode transducers, polarizers and polarisation modulators. I have also developed novel quasi-optical components based on metamaterials such as mesh half-wave plates, mesh lenses and magnetic mirrors. Some of these components have been used and will be used in astronomical instruments in the field.