Professor Gary F. Baxter
Pro Vice-Chancellor, College of Biomedical and Life Sciences
I am Pro Vice-Chancellor, College of Biomedical and Life Sciences and former Head of the School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences (2010 to 2017).
I qualified in pharmacy at the University of Nottingham (BPharm) and The Royal London Hospital (MRPharmS). After a short period spent in clinical practice in hospitals in East Anglia, I undertook research training in experimental pharmacology in London and Leicester (MSc, PhD).
My PhD, undertaken in the laboratory of Professor Basil Northover, was awarded for studies on modulation of ischaemia and reperfusion-induced arrhythmias in hypertensive left ventricular hypertrophy.
In 2009, the higher doctorate (DSc) was conferred by the University of Nottingham for a body of published works on protective actions of autacoid mediators in ischaemic and reperfused myocardium.
In addition to providing undergraduate project, dissertation and essay supervision, I teach within the following modules:
- PH1122 The role of the pharmacist in professional practice
- PH1124 Human body systems
- PH2110 Clinical & professionalpharmacy
- PH2113 Diseases and drugs I
- PH3110 Optimisation of pharmaceutical care
- PH3202 Research methodology
- PH4116 Pharmacy research or scholarship project
For several decades, ischaemic heart disease has been a leading cause of morbidity and mortality in the industrialised nations. While in the UK and USA there are trends towards a reduction in mortality from ischaemic heart disease, the condition is predicted to become the leading cause of death worldwide by 2030, outstripping death due to infectious or neoplastic disesases. Ischaemic heart disease therefore represents a significant and ongoing medical and scientific challenge.
- Myocardial and coronary vascular biology, with a special emphasis on the pathophysiology of acute myocardial infarction
- Cellular basis of ischaemia-reperfusion injury and mechanisms of cardioprotection
Current PhD student
- Outuba Karwi
Current post doctoral research associate
- Justin S Bice BSc PhD
Recent research students, visiting students and associates
- Dwaine Burley BSc PhD (2011)
- Dmitra Andreou (Erasmus Scholar, University of Athens, 2011)
- Paolo Strazzacappa (Erasmus Scholar, University of Padova, 2009-2010)