Dr Jeremy Evas BA, PhD, CL, FHEA
- Welsh speaking
- +44 (0)29 2087 5594
- 1.77, John Percival Building
I have been a Lecturer at the School of Welsh since September 2012. My main research and teaching interests are language planning, for Welsh and other languages. I work on language technology, software localisation, translation software, language policy and linguistic behaviour change.
Honours and awards
Chartered Institute of Linguists, the Association of Welsh Translators and Interpreters, Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
Cardiff University Press: Board Member
MA Bilingualism and Multilingualism, University of Wales, Trinity St. David (2013-2017).
BA in Welsh: First year
CY1602 Y Gymraeg yn y Gymru sydd ohoni (Welsh in Contemporary Wales) (Coordinator)
BA in Welsh: Second and Final Years
- CY3805 Technoleg Iaith mewn Oes Ddigidol (Language Technology in a Digital Age) (Coordinator)
- CY2282 Cynllunio Ieithyddol a Pholisi Iaith (Language Planning and Policy) (Coordinator)
- CY3705 Cyfieithu Proffesiynol (Professional Translation) (Contributor)
- CY1733 Wales and the Welsh Language (Colgate) (Contributor)
- CY3900 Blas ar Ymchwil (Introduction to Research) (Coordinator)
- CY3905 Ymchwilio Estynedig (Extended Research) (Coordinator)
MA Welsh and Celtic Studies
- Essay and dissertation tutor, behaviour change, language planning and policy, language awareness, language technology, Active Offer
My research interests are as follows:
- Translation Productivity
- CAT [Computer-assisted Translation]
- Software localisation
- Humanistic Language Teaching Methods
- Language Policy and Planning
- Behaviour Change
- Intergenerational Language Transmission
- Carlin, Patrick Rights, Language and the State (Funded by the Government of the Republic of Ireland) with Prof. Diarmait Mac Giolla Chríost
- Davies, Laura Beth Further Education and the Welsh Language (Funded by the Coleg Cymraeg Cenedlaethol) with Dr Dylan Foster Evans
- Griffith, Gwenno Changing Linguistic Behaviour - Increasing the Numbers using Minority Language User Interfaces (Funded by the Coleg Cymraeg Cenedlaethol) with Prof. Diarmait Mac Giolla Chríost
- Higham, Gwennan Teaching Welsh to Incomers: Building a Path to an Inclusive Welsh Citizenship (funded by the AHRC with Prof. Diarmait Mac Giolla Chríost and Prof. Colin Williams)
- Screen, Benjamin How Useful is Machine Translation for Welsh? (Funded by the Coleg Cymraeg Cenedlaethol) with Dr Pete Burnap and Dr Jonathan Morris.
- Wagoner, Christina Welsh Language Training Policy for Education and Health and Social Sector Professionals, with Athro Diarmait Mac Giolla Chríost and Prof. Colin Williams.
MA Dissertations I have supervised
- How key an issue is language awareness in young people's attitudes toward the Welsh language?
- Internal Linguistic Landscape and the Welsh Language