Professor Stuart Allen
Head of School, Computer Science and Informatics
- +44 (0)29 2087 6070
My research interests are in the field of mobile and social computing, covering both practical problems with direct applications to industry and policy making, and interdisciplinary collaborations exploring the opportunities and challenges of emerging technologies. I have 20 years of research experience in wireless network modelling and optimisation to improve efficiency through automated planning and management of network infrastructure and resources.
- Member of the IEEE
Education and qualifications
- 1996: PhD (Graph Theory) University of Reading, UK
- 1991: BSc Mathematics, Nottingham University, UK
- 2000 - present: Cardiff University School of Computer Science & Informatics
- 1996 - 2000: Research Fellow, University of Glamorgan
My research covers areas in mobile and social computing, including:
- Developing detailed mathematical models and metrics to represent the diverse technical and economical constraints and objectives of wireless networks,
- Developing metaheuristic algorithms to select and configure network infrastructure.
- Information dissemination in social newtorks and pervasive communication technologies, based on models of human behavior and mobility.
- Understanding the role of human nature in our use of technology, for example, to develop techniques to predict opportune moments to interupt a smartphone user.