Professor Martin Kitchener
Dean and Head of School
Professor Martin Kitchener BSc (Econ) Hons MBA PhD has served as Dean and Head of Cardiff Business School since October 2012. In addition to exercising his responsibility for the strategic direction and leadership of the School, Martin continues to conduct research, teach, and supervise students.
Martin’s academic research concentrates on issues of organisation, performance, and policy in health and social care. In the UK, he has led externally-funded studies of settings including hospitals, residential children’s care, and mental health. Martin is currently leading a major NHS SDO-funded study of organisational features associated with the successful implementation of hospital patient safety/improvement initiatives.
Between 1999 and 2007, Martin worked at the University of California (Berkeley and San Francisco) where he studied the organisation of long-term care, academic health centres, and dentistry. The outputs of his research are published widely and have had considerable impact on practice and policy.
+44 (0)29 2087 6792
- 2007-2013 External Examiner, Nottingham University, MBA in Public Services
- 2000-2007 Professor, University of California, San Francisco
- 2003 Services Employees International Union (SEIU), Research Recognition Award
- 1999-2000 Harkness Research Fellowship in Health Policy at University of California, Berkeley
- 1990-1993 Economic & Social Research Council (ESRC), Management Teaching Fellow
- Management Theory & Practice, BSc Econ, Module Leader
- Strategic Leadership, MPA, Module Leader
- Public sector management and policy
- Health care organisation and performance
- Patient safety
- The organisation of long-term care
- Professional work control
- Organisation theory
- Social movement studies.
PhD supervision research interests
- Healthcare organisation and policy
- Organizational theory
- Patient safety
- Public sector management
- Research methods