Dr Marco Pomati
Lecturer in Social Sciences and Research Methods
My main role at Cardiff University is to teach and develop quantitative methods in a range of Undergraduate and Postgraduate research methods and substantive courses. I am part of the Q-Step Centre and have a broad-based background in Sociology, Anthropology, Social Policy and Research Methods. Before joining Cardiff I worked at the University of Bristol, the National Foundation for Educational Research, the National Centre for Social Research and the Centre for Economic and Social Inclusion where I carried out quantitative analysis of small and large scale surveys and assessment data.
My recent work focuses on:
- the exploration and validation of policy-relevant living standards measures in Europe, the UK and Africa
- the relationship between low income and parenting practices in the UK
- the prevalence and patterning of multiple malnutrition in young children in Sub-Saharan Africa.
I am interested in supervising PhD students, mainly in the areas of Poverty and Inequality. If you are interested in undertaking a PhD with me and work in these areas, please do get in touch (preferably with a 1 or 2 page proposal).
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- SURE accredited (2017) for the use administrative data, how to handle such data safely, lawfully and responsibly
- Research Associate, University of Bristol
- Research Analyst, National Foundation for Educational Research
- Nandy, S. and Pomati, M. (2017) Measuring and Mapping the Prevalence and Patterning of Multiple Malnutrition in Young Children. UNICEF Speaker Series, Uganda (Kampala).
- Pomati, M. and Nandy, S. (2017) Child Poverty Analysis Training for UNICEF Uganda. Uganda (Kampala), UNICEF
- Pomati, M. (2016) "Measuring living standards in Europe" Auckland, Auckland University
- Guio, A.C. and Pomati, M. (2015) "How do European Citizens cope with economic shocks? The longitudinal pattern of curtailment" Net-SILC2 Conference, Lisbon
- Dermott, E. and Pomati, M. (2013) The Extent of Poverty among Parents, and the Relationship with Parenting Practices in the UK. 3rd Peter Townsend Conference, London.
- Deutsch et al. (2013) Material Deprivation in Europe: Which Expenditures Are Curtailed First? IMPALLA-ESPANET International Conference, Luxemburg.
At present, I make contributions to the following Undergraduate modules:
- Lies, Damn Lies and Statistics (Year 1)
- Introduction to Social and Public Policy (Year 1)
- Social Research Methods (Year 2, Autumn Module Convenor 2015/2017)
- Knowing the Social World: Online and Offline surveys (Year 2, Module Convenor )
- Poverty and Social Security in the UK (Year 2)
- Inequalities & the Division of Labour (Year 2)
- Gender Relations and Society (Year 2)
I also contribute to Introduction to Social and Public Policy and Research Applications.
I teach the second semester of Quantitative Research Method (MSc Social Research Methods) and contribute to Research and Evidence-based Policy and Practice (Professional Doctorate).
- Explaining malnutrition in Uganda: analysing local food security and expenditure (Principal Investigator) [ongoing] Funder: Global Challanges Research Fund
- The distribution and dynamics of economic and social wellbeing in the UK: An analysis of the recession using multidimensional indicators of living standards (Co-Investigator) [ongoing: Feb 2017- Aug 2018] Funder: Nuffield Foundation
- Measuring and Mapping the Prevalence and Patterning of Multiple Malnutrition in Young Children in West and Central Africa (Co-Investigator) [ongoing:Feb 2017- April 2018] Funder: ESRC
- Developing training tools to assist National Statistical Offices in Low and Middle Income Countries in the collection of data to assess multidimensional poverty for the Sustainable Development Goals (Co-Applicant) [ongoing] Funder: ESRC Impact Acceleration Account - Global Challanges Fund. See news items here.
- ‘Getting the measure of poverty in the Philippines and Vietnam’ (Co-Applicant)  Funder: ESRC Impact Acceleration Account – Global Challenges Fund
- Revising EU material deprivation variables and improving EU-SILC data quality (Researcher) [2014-2016] Funder: EUROSTAT
- College Networking (teaching and research) with University of Auckland (Co-Investigator) [Dec 2016] Funder: Cardiff Uni
- British Academy Newton Advanced Fellowship for Scholarship exchange with Chinese Academy of Social Sciences [ongoing] (Co-Investigator) [ongoing: November 2016 - March 2018] Funder: British Academy
- Impartiality Review of BBC Reporting of Statistics (Advisory Team) [completed 2016] Funder: BBC Trust
- Coping Strategies The longitudinal pattern of curtailment (Co-Investigator) [completed 2014] Funder: European Commission
- Poverty and Social Exclusion Survey 2012 (Research Associate) [completed 2014] Funder: ESRC