Dr Rhiannon Evans
I am a Senior Lecturer in Social Science and Health based at DECIPHer (Centre for the Development and Evaluation of Complex Public Health Interventions), a UKCRC Public Health Research Centre of Excellence. I am also an affiliated Senior Lecturer at CASCADE (Children's Social Care Research and Development Centre). The substantive focus of my research is the improvement of the mental health and wellbeing of children and young people, in addition to the prevention of self-harm and suicide.
- 2017- : Senior Lecturer, DECIPHer/CASCADE, School of Social Sciences, Cardiff University
- 2015 - 2017: Research Fellow, DECIPHer/CASCADE, School of Social Sciences, Cardiff University
- 2014 - 2015: Research Associate, DECIPHer, School of Social Sciences, Cardiff University
- 2013 - 2014: Public Health Tutor (Lecturer Epidemiology), School of Medicine, Cardiff University
Education and Qualifications
- PhD in Social Sciences, Cardiff University
- MSc Social Science Research Methods, Cardiff University
- MSc Public Policy, University of Bristol
- BA Hons Philosophy, Politics and Economics, University of Oxford
Honours and awards
2017: Learned Society of Wales Dillwyn Medal for Outstanding Early Career Researcher Contribution in Social Sciences, Education and Business.
Health, Medicine and Society
Equality and Diversity in Education and Work
MSc Social Science Research Methods
MA Social Work: Dissertation Supervisor and Assessor
Masters in Public Health (MPH): Health Improvement
Masters in Public Health (MPH): Dissertation Supervisor and Assessor
Hayley Reed (ESRC 1+3) (2016- 2020)
Rachel Parker (ESRC 1+3) (2016-2020)
Stephen Jennings (Health and Care Research Wales) (2016-2019)
DECIPHer Short Courses
Developing Complex Public Health Interventions
Process Evaluation of Public Health Interventions (Convenor)
Canadian Institute for Collaborative Learning Institute in Evaluation, PROPEL, University of Waterloo, Development and Evaluation of Complex Interventions, Welsh Government.
Process Evaluation of Public Health Interventions, NIHR Research Design Service
Process Evaluation of Public Health Interventions, HSC Public Health Agency, Northern Ireland
My research interests include:
- Children and young people
- Mental health, social and emotional learning, and wellbeing
- Self-harm and suicide
- School-based intervention
- Development and evaluation of complex interventions
- Process evaluation and implementation science
I am Principal Investigator on the following grants:
‘Self-harm and Suicide in Children and Young People Research Collaboration’, GW4 (£56,720.94), 2016.
‘Self-harm, suicide ideation and suicidal behaviours in looked-after children and young people: Incidence, prevalence and prevention’, Post-Doctoral Research Fellowship NISCHR (£248,364), 2014-2017.
‘Self-harm and Suicide in Children and Young People Research Collaboration’, GW4 (£4k), 2014.
I am Co-investigator on the following grants:
‘Well-being and Health in Schools Project (WHISP): Phase 1’, Wellcome Trust ISSF Public Health Collaboration Fund (£24,458), 2016-2017.
‘A cluster randomised controlled trial of an intervention to improve the mental health support and training available to secondary school teachers – the WISE (Wellbeing in Secondary Education) project’ NIHR (£1.3m), 2015-2019.
‘Understanding the educational experiences and opinions, attainment, achievement and aspirations of looked after children in Wales’, Welsh Government (£30,957), 2015