Dr Sharon Thompson
Lecturer in Law
I joined Cardiff Law School in 2015, having previously been a Lecturer in Law at Keele University (2013-2015). I currently lecture on Family Law, Trusts and Legal History and am joint module leader of Trusts. I am also staff seminar co-ordinator for the Law department.
I completed the LL.B. with first class honours in 2009 and was awarded my PhD in 2013 at Queen's University Belfast. I research the areas of divorce, family property, prenuptial agreements, and mid-twentieth century legal history, with a particular focus on feminist perspectives. In 2015 I published a book with Hart Publishing titled Prenuptial Agreements and the Presumption of Free Choice: Issues of Power in Theory and Practice, which was shortlisted for both the SLSA Hart Socio-Legal Book Prize and the SLSA Socio-Legal prize for Early Career Academics.
I am co-editor of case notes for Journal of Social Welfare and Family Law and am a member of the Network on Family Regulation and Society (comprised of Family Law academics from the Universities of Bristol, Bath, Exeter and Cardiff). I co-lead three research groups at Cardiff (Law and Gender, Law and History and Family Law) and received an Outstanding Contribution Award for research in 2016 from the University. I have been interviewed by BBC News, BBC Radio Stoke and Lexis Nexis about my work on prenuptial agreements. I was also a Visiting Fellow in 2014 at City University Hong Kong.
I am willing to supervise prospective PhD candidates in my areas of expertise, which include Family Law, Property Law and Feminist Legal Theory.
Education and qualifications
- 2015: Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA).
- 2015: Postgraduate Certificate in Teaching and Learning in Higher Education. Keele University.
- 2013: PhD. Queen’s University Belfast.
- 2009: Bachelor of Laws (LL.B.) First Class Honours. Queen’s University Belfast.
- 2015 – present: Lecturer in Law, Cardiff University.
- 2015 – present: Co-editor of case notes, Journal of Social Welfare and Family Law.
- 2014: Visiting Fellow, City University Hong Kong.
- 2013 – 2015: Lecturer in Law, Keele University.
- 2009 – 2013: Law Tutor, School of Law, Queen’s University Belfast.
Honours and awards
- Participant on Cardiff Futures Programme, 2016/17.
- Outstanding Contribution Award for excellence in research, Cardiff University, 2016.
- Visiting Fellow, City University Hong Kong, 2014.
- Travel Award, Emily Sarah Montgomery Scholarship, 2011.
- Travel Award, County Antrim Grand Jury Bursary, 2010.
- Conference paper prize, School of Law Postgraduate Research Conference, Queen’s University Belfast, 2010.
- Law Society Prize, Queen’s University Belfast, 2009.
- McKane Medal and Scholarship (Law and Philosophy), Queen’s University Belfast, 2009.
- Foundation Scholarship (awarded to top three students in year one), Queen’s University Belfast, 2007.
- McKane Medal and Scholarship (Jurisprudence), Queen’s University Belfast, 2007.
- Fellow, Higher Education Academy
- Member of the GW4 Network on Family Regulation and Society.
- Member of the International Society of Family Lawyers.
- Member of the Research Committee on Sociology of Law International Working Group on the Legal Professions.
- Member of the Socio-Legal Studies Association.
- Member of the Society of Legal Scholars.
- '“We want prenup!” The Gold-Digging Trope in Family Law', University of Durham, 20th February 2017.
- ‘The Married Women’s Association’s Fight for Wives’ Right to Housekeeping Savings’, SLS Annual Conference, University of Oxford, 6th-9th September 2016.
- ‘Feminist Relational Contract Theory as Method: Addressing Patterns of Power in Nuptial Agreements’, Working Group on Legal Professions, Andorra, 6th -9th July 2016.
- ‘Are Methods in Law a Feminist Issue?’ Gender Rules Conference, Cardiff University, 20th June 2016. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uucl1JlraH0.
- ‘Good housekeeping? The Married Women’s Association, Women’s Right to Housekeeping, and the Value of Work in the Home’, SLSA Annual Conference, Lancaster University, 5th-7th April 2016.
- ‘The Married Women’s Property Act 1964’, Women’s Legal Landmarks workshop, University of Reading, 19th-20th November 2015.
- ‘In Defence of the Gold-Digger’, Radically Rethinking Marriage Conference, Oñati, Spain, 16th -17th July 2015.
- ‘Prenuptial Agreements, Gendered Power and the Potential Impact of Same-Sex Marriage’, Staff seminar, Keele University, 4th February 2015.
- ‘Judging Prenuptial Agreements: Rethinking Autonomy and Recognising Power’, SLS Conference 2014, University of Nottingham, 9th-12th September 2014.
- ‘Prenuptial Agreements and the Presumption of Free Choice: Issues of Power in Theory and Practice’, SLSA Conference 2012, De Montford University, Leicester, 3rd April 2012.
- ‘Prenuptial Agreements since Radmacher v Granatino’, 3rdAnnual School of Law Postgraduate Research Conference, Queen’s University Belfast, 20th May 2011.
- ‘Prenuptial Agreements and the Meaning of “Fairness” since Radmacher v Granatino’, SLSA Conference 2011, University of Sussex, 13th April 2011.
- ‘Prenuptial Agreements and the Conceptualisation of Marriage’, 2nd Annual School of Law Postgraduate Research Conference, Queen’s University Belfast, 10th May 2010.
- ‘Contract Marriage – the Implications for Prenuptial Agreements’, Scottish Young Researcher’s Colloquium, University of Dundee, 23rd April 2010.
- Law School Research Seminar Co-ordinator.
- Co-director of Family Law Research Group.
- Co-director of Law and History Research Group.
- Co-director of Law and Gender Research Group.
- Personal tutor.