Lecturer Centre for Professional Legal Studies, LAWPL, Cardiff University
Barrister 9 Park Place Chambers (practising during Academic holidays)
Assistant Chief Examiner Bar Standards Board (the regulator for barristers)
I am a lecturer on the Bar Professional Training Course with a specialism in family law, professional ethics and advocacy. I am module leader for both the Professional Ethics and Family Law modules on the BPTC and I formerly co-led an advocacy module on the course. I am a fellow of Advance HE (formerly the HEA) and I have a keen interest in pedagogy (the method and practice of teaching) and developing engaging teaching methods. In 2017, I was awarded a small grant by the University to develop teaching materials and I have disseminated the results of the project at academic seminars / conferences (both at a University level and at a national level ['Association of Law Teachers Conference 2018' and the 'Advance HE: Teaching and Learning Conference 2018']).
I regularly provide lectures / seminars to the Bar of England and Wales on matters concerning or connected to Professional Ethics. This has including providing lectures / seminars on regulatory changes to the Wales and Chester Circuit (all barristers practising in Wales and Chester), 9 Park Place Chambers, Iscoed Chambers, Angel Chambers, Pendragon Chambers and Civitas Chambers and I have provided mandatory training on ethical conduct to new barrister practitioners in Wales (2017 and 2018).
I am an Assistant Chief Examiner for the Centralised Assessment Board of the Bar Standards Board (the regulator for the Bar) for the Professional Ethics assessment. I was formerly an external marker and standard setter for the BSB.
I am a barrister and I still practise at the Bar at 9 Park Place Chambers during academic holidays. I have previously been recommended in a national directory for the profession, Chambers and Partners UK (in 2015 and 2016), and I conduct cases in all areas within the field of family law. Prior to specialision, I spent my first 3 years (approx.) in practice acting in general civil, family and criminal matters.
Myself and Kathryn Clague are the Mooting Coordinators at LAWPL. We design and deliver the undergraduate mooting activities for Cardiff University and we both select and train Cardiff University teams to represent the University at external competitions.
I take an active role in assisting those students seeking to join the legal profession and I am the Widening Access Coordinator for the Centre for Profesisonal Legal Studies.
I enjoy running, cycling, boot-camp fitness and learning Welsh (intermediate level).
Education and qualifications
- 2007: BVC, Cardiff University – Outstanding
- 2005: LL.B. (Hons), Swansea University - 1st class
Academic career overview
- 2018: Assistant Chief Examiner, Bar Standards Board, Centralised Examination Board, Professioanl Ethics
- 2018: Awarded fellowship of the HEA
- 2017: Marker (External), Bar Standards Board, Centralised Assessment Board, Professional Ethics
- 2015 – present: Lecturer, CPLS, Cardiff University
- 2014 – 2015: Lecturer (Part-time), CPLS, Cardiff University
Legal career overview
- 2015 – present: Associate tenancy, 9 Park Place Chambers, Cardiff
- 2008 – 2015: Tenancy, 9 Park Place Chambers, Cardiff
- 2007 – 2008: Pupillage, 9 Park Place Chambers, Cardiff
- 2007: Call to the Bar, The Honourable Society of Gray’s Inn, London
Honours and awards
- 2007: Lord Williams of Mostyn Achievement in Advocacy Award
- 2007: Angel Chambers Criminal Practice Award
- 2005: Sir Samuel Evans Prize, University of Wales
- 2005: Top final year law student, Swansea University
Legal Career Achievemtns
- Recommended in Chambers and Partners UK 2016
- Recommended in Chambers and Partners UK 2015
- Notable / reported cases:
- In re HA (a Child) (No 2)  EWHC 1310 (Fam);  Fam. Law 775
- Bristol City Council v AA and HA  EWHC 1022 (Fam);  1 FLR 625
- LJ v JD  EWHC 3632 (Fam)
- 9 Park Place Chambers
- The Honourable Society of Gray’s Inn
- Family Law Bar Association
- Association of Law Teachers
- Fellow of HE Advance
- Advance HE: Teaching and Learning Conference 2018 (paper), Aston University (2018) 'Using Video Problems for Problem Questions' https://www.heacademy.ac.uk/system/files/hub/download/Room%20G63_Ignite_William%20Seagrim.pdf
- Education Innovation Summer Conference, Cardiff University (poster) (2018) 'Video Recorded Problem Questions'
- Education Innovation Week (seminar), Cardiff University (2018) 'Video Recorded Problem Questions'
- Association of Law Teachers Conference 2018 (poster), Keele University (2018) 'Video Recorded Problem Questions'
- New Pracitioners' Courses (seminar) (Professional Ethics), Wales and Chester Circuit
- 'Solving Ethical Dilemmas: a new practitioner's guide' (2018)
- 'Ethical Dilemmas for New Practitioners' (2017)
- GDPR (lecture)(Professional Ethics) 'The General Data Protection regulation: a guide for Chambers'
- Civitas Law Chambers (2018)
- 9 Park Place Chambers (2018)
- Isoed Chambers, Angel Chambers and Pendragon Chambers (2018)
- Regulatory changes (lecture)(Professional Ethics) 'CPD: a talk on the new scheme, changes and tips on compliance'
- 9 Park Place Chambers (2017)
- Wales and Chester Circuit (2017)
Committees and reviewing
- 2017 - to present: Mooting Coordinator, LAWPL
- 2017 - to present: Legal Research corrdinator, BPTC
- 2017 - present: Committee member, responding to the BSB's Future Bar Training Consultations, BPTC
- 2016 - present: Widening Access Co-ordinator, CPLS
- 2018: Member of the committee of the Wales and Chester Circuit that repsonded to the Lord Thomas Commission on the Welsh Justice System
Bar Professional Training Course
- Professional Ethics (module responsibility)
- Submissions Advocacy
- Trial Advocacy
- Family (module responsibility)