Dr Damian Farnell
Lecturer in Medical Statistics
I am a senior lecturer of medical statistics at the School of Dentistry at Cardiff University, UK, and I am the module leader for two postgraduate courses on "Research Methods" (DET031) and "Professionalism and Ethics" in the School of Dentistry. My research interests relate to:
- Medical imaging and image processing
- Pedagogy research, especially relating to mathematics and statistics teaching
- Numerical biosimulation
- Quantum magnetism
- Quantum many-body theory
- PhD entitled “Integrable and Non-Integrable Quantum Arrays” (1994) UMIST, UK.
- BSc on Mathematical Physics (1991) UMIST, UK.
Honours and awards
- Poster prize at the Wilhelm und Else Heraeus-Seminar entitled ‘Quantum Magnetism in Low Spatial Dimensions’ (2012).
- Course prize. Undergraduate degree Mathematical Physics (1991) UMIST, UK.
Previous academic positions
- From 2017-present: Senior lecturer in Medical Statistics, School of Dentistry, Cardiff University, UK
- 2014-2017: Lecturer in Medical Statistics, School of Dentistry, Cardiff University, UK.
- 2011-2014: Senior Lecturer in Mathematics, University of South Wales, UK.
- 2007-2011: Research Statistician, University of Manchester, UK.
- 2003-2006: Lecturer in Ophthalmic Imaging, St. Paul’s Eye Unit + University of Liverpool, UK.
- Before 2003: Post-doctoral researcher (from 1996) and software engineer (1995).w
Poster presentations and talks (2012 to 2017 only):
- "Emergence of magnetic order in kagome antiferromagnets: the role of next-nearest neighbour bonds." Poster at the Strongly Correlated Electrons (SCES) conference Prague (July 2017).
- "Initial Results of Multilevel Principal Components Analysis of Facial Shape". Poster Presentation. Medical Image Understanding and Analysis (MIUA) 2017. Edinburgh (July 2017).
- "Systematic Review of online, face-to-face, and blended formats for teaching information literacy / library skills to undergraduates." Lightning talk and poster. Centre for Education Innovation, Learning and Teachng event (July 2017).
- "Monte Carlo Methods and Teaching Biostatistics". Oral presentation. Burwalls, for Teachers for Medical Statistics. Nottingham (June 2017).
- "Oral Health Inequalities in 5-year old Children in Wales." Oral presentation. IADR 2017. San Fransisco, USA (March 2017).
- “Mathematics in Medicine.” A lecture in the series: Royal Institution Mathematics Masterclasses at the University of South Wales (March 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, & 2017).
- “Monte Carlo simulation of Latanoprost-induced iris darkening. (Or: “How maths helped to prove that it wasn’t cancer” …!)” Informal talk given to Applied Clinical Research and Public Health groups, School of Dentistry, Cardiff University (January 2016).
- “Multilevel Principal Component Analysis (mPCA) in Shape Analysis: A Feasibility Study in Medical and Dental Imaging.” Invited talk to the Division of Mathematics, University of South Wales, UK (January 2016).
- “Information literacy teaching in Universities - A systematic review of evaluation studies: Preliminary findings for online versus traditional methods.” (POSTER) by Weightman AL, Farnell D., Morris D, Strange H. Evidence based library and information practice conference (EBLIP) in Brisbane (July 2015). http://eblip8.info/
- “Applications of the coupled cluster method to quantum magnetism,” invited talk at the Theorie der kondensierten Materie II, Theoretical Physics Institute, Otto-von-Guericke-Universitaet Magdeburg, Germany (June 2015).
- “An overview of the coupled cluster method,” invited talk at the Theorie der kondensierten Materie II, Theoretical Physics Institute, Otto-von-Guericke-Universitaet Magdeburg, Germany (June 2015).
- “The magnetisation process of triangular-lattice antiferromagnets.” (POSTER) Theoretical and Experimental Magnetism Meeting, Cosener’s House, Addingdon UK (July 2013).
- Internal research talk on “Coupled Fluid/Strcuture Interactions: How do hearts beat, flags flap, and fish swim?” Division of Mathematics, University of Glamorgan (2012).
- “Heisenberg antiferromagnet on the kagome lattice with arbitrary spin: A higher-order coupled cluster treatment” by O. Goetze, J. Richter, DJJ Farnell et al. Poster at the 504. Wilhelm und Else Heraeus-Seminar
- “Ground-state phase structure of the spin-1/2 anisotropic planar pyrochlore model’ by PHY Li, R.F. Bishop, DJJ Farnell, and C.E. Campbell at the 504. Poster. Wilhelm und Else Heraeus-Seminar entitled ‘Quantum Magnetism in Low Spatial Dimensions’. POSTER PRIZE AWARDED!
- “Coupled Cluster Theories of Quantum Magnetism” talk at the 504 WE-Hereaus Seminar on “Quantum Magnetism in Low Spatial Dimensions”, Bad Honnef (April 2012).
- Dental Research Ethics Committee
- Dental Postgraduate Research Committee
- Module leader for DET031: Research Methods for postgraduate students in the School of Dentistry.
- Tutor for second-year undergraduate dental students
- PhD supervision
- From 2017/18: module leader for another postgraduate module on Professionalism and Ethics in the School of Dentistry.
Current Projects in Medical Research
- General statistical support and research consultancy for postgraduates and staff in all research groups and / or themes in the school of dentistry at Cardiff University.
- Trends in violence in England and Wales estimated from A&E attendances. See, e.g., this article
- Oral health interventions for adults in care homes: A systematic review. See published guidance on the NICE website.
- Trends in Social Inequalities Relating to the Oral Health of 5-Year-Old Children in Wales.
- EAGLE study: looking at developing a service to assess and help men who have side effects from having radiotherapy for their prostate cancer.
- Water fluoridation: Systematic review of dental outcomes of water fluoridation
- Improving children’s oral health in Wales: Exploring community dental staff prioritisation of interventions, services and policies using rank elicitation methods.
- mPCA: Multilevel principal components analysis (mPCA) applied to dental images (e.g., the biological basis of facial shape)
Current Projects in Theoretical Physics
- 3D model states: High-order coupled cluster method (CCM) calculations using 3D model states
- Spin-half J1-J2-J3 model on the Simple Cubic Lattice
- Archimedean lattices: The battle between order and disorder of the Heisenberg model on Archimedean lattices for general spin quantum number
- Volborthite: Quantum models of the magnetic material Volborthite
- CCM LSUBm excitation spectra.
- CCM theories of lattice-boson systems
Other Current Projects
- Information literacy: Systematic review of traditional, online, and blended provision of university information literacy
Previous Medical Research
- Patient-reported toxicity levels after radical cancer therapy CTCAE questionnaires, QoL via EORTC QLQ C30 questionnaire, anxiety and depression via HADS questionnaire (The Christie, Manchester). (Currently) EAGLE study at Cardiff University for prostate cancer. See The Christie Scoring Website.
- MRC "Statistical Calibration" project at the Health Methodology Research Group, University of Manchester. See, e.g., NCRM e-print on "Cross measure calibration methods and how they can enhance our analytical potential" by A. Pickles, D.J.J. Farnell, and C. Roberts: http://eprints.ncrm.ac.uk/2806/.
- Automated Retinal Image Analysis (ARIA) project principal researcher for the ARIA project at St. Paul's Eye Unit, RLUHT. Recruitment of patients, retinal photography, and image analysis of resulting digital fundus photographs. See my article: Enhancement of blood vessels in digital fundus photographs via the application of multiscale line operators.
- Monte Carlo simulations of photon transport in human tissues (previously), i.e., prediction of iris-colour changes in glaucoma patients after treatment by a topical prostaglandin drug called Latanoprost (St. Paul’s Eye Unit, Liverpool). See our published journal article in this topic.
- OSTEODENT project prediction of osteoporosis and osteopenia from image analysis of panoramic mandibular radiograms.
- Strongly coupled fluid/structure interactions i.e., “how do fish swim, flags flap, and hearts beat?”
CCCM crystallographic coupled cluster method
- CCCM is a high-order CCM (coupled cluster method) code for lattice spin systems at T=0 by Damian J. J. Farnell (DF).
- Historically, this code is based on "foundations" laid by Ray Bishop and John Parkinson (amongst others), and Chen Zeng's work in the 90's on the high-order code.
- This code has been exploited and pushed forward by Damian Farnell and Sven Krüger primarily.
- Joerg Schulenburg (JS) improved this code greatly and he has set up this webpage for distribution of the most recent code.
Key Publications in Theoretical Physics
- An Introduction to Lattice Quantum Spin Systems by JB Parkinson and DJJ Farnell. Lecture Notes in Physics Vol. 816. Written by J.B. Parkinson and D.J.J. Farnell. (Springer Verlag, Heidelberg, 2010). (Softcover ISBN: 978-3-642-13289-6).
- Quantum Magnetism. Lecture Notes in Physics Vol. 645, Schollwoeck, U.; Richter, J.; Farnell, D.J.J.; Bishop, R.F. (Eds.), (Springer Verlag, Heidelberg, 2004). (Hardcover ISBN: 3-540-21422-4. Softcover from 2010: ISBN: 978-3642059766)
- Numerical and Approximate Analytical Results for the Frustrated Spin-½ Quantum Spin Chain, R. Bursill, G.A. Gehring, D.J.J. Farnell, J.B. Parkinson, Tao Xiang, and Chen Zeng, J. Phys.: Condens. Matter 7, 8605 (1995).
- An efficient implementation of high-order coupled-cluster techniques applied to quantum magnets C Zeng, DJJ Farnell, RF Bishop. Journal of statistical physics 90 (1), 327-361 (1998).
- Quantum phase transitions of a square-lattice Heisenberg antiferromagnet with two kinds of nearest-neighbor bonds: A high-order coupled-cluster treatment. SE Krüger, J Richter, J Schulenburg, DJJ Farnell, RF Bishop. Physical Review B 61 (21), 14607 (2000).
- Phase transitions in the spin-half J1− J2 model. RF Bishop, DJJ Farnell, JB Parkinson. Physical Review B 58 (10), 6394 (1998).
- High-order coupled cluster method calculations for the ground-and excited-state properties of the spin-half XXZ model.
RF Bishop, DJJ Farnell, SE Krüger, JB Parkinson, J Richter, C Zeng. Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter 12 (30), 6887 (2000)
- Coupled cluster treatment of the Shastry-Sutherland antiferromagnet. R Darradi, J Richter, DJJ Farnell
Physical Review B 72 (10), 104425 (2005).
- Magnetic order in a spin-1 2 interpolating square-triangle Heisenberg antiferromagnet. RF Bishop, PHY Li, DJJ Farnell, CE Campbell. Physical Review B 79 (17), 174405 (2009).
- Frustrated spin-½ J1− J2 Heisenberg ferromagnet on the square lattice studied via exact diagonalization and coupled-cluster method. J Richter, R Darradi, J Schulenburg, DJJ Farnell, H Rosner. Physical Review B 81 (17), 174429 (2010).
- The frustrated Heisenberg antiferromagnet on the honeycomb lattice: A candidate for deconfined quantum criticality, D. J. J. Farnell, R. F. Bishop, P. H. Y. Li, J. Richter, and C. E. Campbell. Physical Review B 84, 012403 (2011).
- The frustrated Heisenberg antiferromagnet on the checkerboard lattice: the J1-J2 model. R.F. Bishop, P.H.Y. Li, D.J.J. Farnell, J. Richter, and C.E. Campbell. Phys. Rev. B 85, 205122 (2012).
- Quantum s=½ Antiferromagnets on Archimedean Lattices: The Route from Semiclassical Magnetic Order to Nonmagnetic Quantum States, D. J. J. Farnell, O. Goetze, and J. Richter, R. F. Bishop and P. H. Y. Li. Phys. Rev. B 89, 184407 (2014).