Dr Nik Sheen
WOPEC Co-Director, Clinical Lead for the Eye Health Examinations Wales (EHEW) service
Previously my research experience was in Glaucoma, Diabetes and ocular imaging. More recently, aside from my management roles, my research has been focussed on primary care, evaluation and audit of clinical services and education and training for optometrists.
Primarily I teach postgraduate optometrists. I am module leader for the acute eye care postgraduate modules and glaucoma basic and advanced modules. I also teach on a variety of short courses.
Previously I was module leader, lecturer and supervisor for Investigative Techniques module within the undergraduate optometry course.
I am responsible for the WOPEC staff, a team of 6 internal staff as well as 6 external optometrist tutors.
Educational and Professional Qualifications:
- 2002 PhD Cardiff University
- 1998 MSc with commendation Bristol University
- 1994 BSc (Hons) Cardiff University
- 1995 MCOptom College of Optometrists
Honours and awards
- A Bullock (PI), B Ryan, N Sheen. £21,000, General Optical Council, 2012
- W Drexler (PI), B Povazy, N Sheen, R North. £110,000, Action Medical Research, 2008
- N Sheen (PI) & W Drexler, R North. £102,000, Diabetes UK, 2008-2010
- N Sheen (PI) Summer Scholarship, £3,000, College of Optometrists, 2007
- 2010-present: Member of the General Optical Council education committee
- 2014-present: Member of the General Optical Council registration committee
- 2013-present: Member of Eye Care Delivery Plan Steering Group*
- 2013-present: Member of Information Technology Task and Finish Group*
- 2013-present: Member of Statistics Task and Finish Group*
- 2013-present: Member of EHEW Task and Finish Group*
- 2010-present: Deputy Chair of MegaFocus Wales*
- 2014-present: Member of Focus on Ophthalmology Group*
*As part of my role as Clinical Lead for the Eye Health Examination Wales
- 2010-present: Director of Wales Optometry Postgraduate Education Centre (this includes management, short courses provision, Postgraduate Taught Certificates, Diplomas and MSc provision and commissioned work)
- 2008-present: Clinical Lead for the Eye Health Examination Wales service (a service for optometrist in Wales provide for patients)
- 2013 – 2014: External Examiner for International Islamic University, Malaysia
- 2003 – 2008: Lecturer, School of Optometry and Vision Sciences, Cardiff University
- 2003 – 2008: Accreditation and Evaluation Manager for the Welsh Eye Care Initiative
Committees and reviewing
- 2013 - present: Member of the Alumni Committee
- 2013 - present: Member of the School Board
- 2010 - present: WOPEC Strategic Advisory Committee
- 2010 - present: WOPEC Board
Research Topics and Related Projects:
Glaucoma, Diabetes, Digital Ocular Imaging , Primary Care Optometry, Evaluation and audit of clinical services, Education and Training for Optometrists
- Marieh Esmaelpour, Post-doc 2008-2011
Current Postgraduate Students (with degree and anticipated completion year):
- Juan de Ortez MSc 2014
- Owain Mealing MSc 2014
Past Postgraduate students
- Ashley Wood PhD 2012
Prof Alison Bullock, School of Social Sciences, Cardiff University. Collaboration in Education research in Optometry
Grant and Paper reviewer:
Grant reviewer for Diabetes UK, RNIB, Guide dogs for the Blind. Manuscript reviewer for Ophthalmology, Ophthalmic and Physiological Optics, British Journal of Ophthalmology.
Innovation and Engagement:
- Services, education and training ambassador for BME group working with the Royal National Institute for the Blind (RNIB) 2009-present.
- Invited ambassador to the Southern College of Optometrists, Memphis, USA for eye services in the UK in 2010.
- Invited lecturer for extended primary care services for over 20 Primary Care trusts and optometrist companies.