Professor Sally Power
Director, WISERD Education
- +44(0) 29 2087 4738
- +44 (0)29 208 74175
- Room 1.01, WISERD, 46 Park Place
I work within WISERD (Wales Institute of Social and Economic Research Data and Method) where I direct WISERDEducation, a programme of research capacity-building for Wales.
My main area of research expertise is in education, where I am interested in many aspects of education, policy and inequality.
Together with other colleagues here at Cardiff, I edit the British Educational Research Journal.
I welcome doctoral students interested in a wide range of areas within the sociology of education. These include:
- Education policy, social mobility and intergenerational transmission
- Education in Wales
- Private education
- Longitudinal research
I have recently supervised doctoral dissertations on the school effect in higher education destinations, the role of place in student aspirations, 'second chance' education in Hong Kong, and correspondence theory and the stratification of higher education.
- British Educational Research Assocation
- British Sociological Association
- Society for Longitudinal and Lifecourse Studies
- Society for Educational Studies
Previous academic positions
- Head of the School of Educational Foundations and Policy Studies, Institute of Education, University of London (until 2004)
- Lecturer, Graduate School of Education, University of Bristol
- Research Officer, School of Education, University of Warwick
- Doctoral courses on professionalism and work, education policy and social contexts of education.
- Masters courses in education policy and education research.
- Undergraduate courses in sociology of education and education policy.
I have undertaken my research projects on various aspects of education and inequality. These include evaluations for a range of policy-makers (Welsh Government, Scottish Executive, UK Cabinet Office), voluntary sector associations (Shelter, Field Studies, Council) and the UK Research Council (ERSC).
I currently direct the EC-funded Network of Experts on Social aspects of Education and Training (www.nesetweb.eu)